Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can one say "eine Menge von Fehlern" instead of " eine Menge Fehler" ?

Er macht eine Menge Fehler, wenn er Deutsch schreibt.

Will it be still be grammatically wrong if one says:

Wir machen alle eine Menge von Fehlern.

Is the preposition "von" only used for style?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

In daily German the version without preposition is by far the more idiomatic one. The von-version while probably not totally wrong sound odd, at least to me. It definitely doesn't sound like higher German. Technically both versions exist and have different meanings.

Eine Menge X

means a

A lot of X

This uses Menge in the colloquial meaning of mass. But the word has a mathematical meaning, too. I don't know the exact term but a mathematical Menge can consist of one element only. So

Eine Menge von X...

is

A set of X...

share|improve this answer

Isn't the mathematical Menge a set? –  fifaltra Jan 8 at 23:49

@fifaltra... it is. Thanks. –  Emanuel Jan 9 at 8:27

Yep, in mathematical parlance “eine Menge von Fehlern” is “a set of mistakes”. Unfortunately I have lost the ability to gauge how these sound to non-mathematicians. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 9 at 8:49
@CarstenSchultz... I think there might be a certain ring to it for people who have been paying some attention in math in school, a ring that might fade over time. As for people who didn't pay that much attention... I'd say they'd go for "voll die Fehler" anyway ;) –  Emanuel Jan 9 at 8:52

@CarstenSchultz It sounds like "a set of mistakes whose cardinality is not a small nmber" –  Ingo Jan 9 at 10:49

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.