Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Will it be grammatically correct to write:

Ich kaufe einen Blumenstrauß für meine Frau.

Instead of:

Ich kaufe meiner Frau einen Blumenstrauß.

Because in English one says " I am buying a bouquet of flowers for my wife". Can für be replaced with the dative case? Or will it not sound German?

share|improve this question
Blumenstrauß! :) –  RienNeVaPlus Jan 10 at 2:16
@RienNeVaPlus "einen Strauß Blumen" would be fine as well. –  Em1 Jan 10 at 9:13

@DerPolyglott33 In English it's fine so say "I bought my wife flowers" as well. –  Em1 Jan 10 at 9:13
Don't you also have both versions in English? "I am buying my wife a bouquet of flowers". It should at least work with "myself" and such: "I bought myself a car" and "I bought a car for myself" –  Sentry Jan 10 at 10:41

@Em1 ja, kann man das auch sagen –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 12 at 7:34
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

The way you've done it, it is perfectly fine.

One slight difference is the use cases:

The first one refers a little more to the action itself:

A: Ich bin in der Stadt B: Was machst du da? A: Ich kaufe einen Blumenstrauß für meine Frau.

The second one refers a little more to the intention:

B: Euer Hochzeitstag ist morgen: Was hast du geplant? A: Ich kaufe meiner Frau einen Blumenstrauß.

However both can be used in both cases.

share|improve this answer
I don't agree with your explanation of the use case difference. I think the first one actually emphasizes that you're buying flowers for your wife, while the second emphasizes the action and not the intention. Either there are regional differences or it's just not as clear as you think. –  OregonGhost Jan 10 at 9:33
@OregonGhost As I said: It is the slightest of a difference and both cases are corrcet. That indeed probalby depends on where one lives. –  Mark Jan 10 at 9:37
"he slight difference is in the emphasis, which is always stronger on words earlier in the sentence." please please please... delete that line. It is the old lore that emphasis is put on whatever comes first. That is not so. At least by far not always as you suggest. Also, I don't get the last example. What is it supposed to illustrate. I can also say "Meiner Frau kaufe ich Blumen." –  Emanuel Jan 10 at 10:42
@Emanuel agreed, to much storytelling, to few objective info: redacted. –  Mark Jan 10 at 10:55
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.