Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I ran into the sentence

Die Punkte A, B und C liegen auf einer Geraden.

From the dictionary I understand that "Gerade" takes on the form "Geraden" for both plural and genitive. But here it looks like the dative case, and it cannot be a masculine N-Noun (like Herr, Journalist, Student, etc.) because it's feminine. What's the explanation then?

share|improve this question

de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Gerade -> Geraden –  Em1 Jan 10 at 8:48

the dictionary got it wrong. It get's an -n in Dative too –  Emanuel Jan 10 at 10:48

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

As you noticed, “auf einer Geraden” is dative, singular. The declination has the “n” in this case, because “Gerade” is a nominalisation of the adjective “gerade”. Compare:

Ich schenkte der Schönen ein Lächeln.

Hence your example is correct:

Die Punkte A, B und C liegen auf einer Geraden.

Another example:

Auf der Gegengeraden hat er das Tempo angezogen.

Also

Die Punkte A, B und C liegen auf einer Geodätischen.

(nominalisation), but

Die Punkte A, B und C liegen auf einer Geodäte.

(not a nominalisation in the technical sense).

However, apparently the origin of “Gerade” as a nominalisation has been somewhat lost, and the forms without the “n” are also used and deemed correct.

share|improve this answer

It actually is Dativ:

The question to ask for 'Geraden' is "auf wem oder was?" which is the question indicating Dativ.

It should actually be "Auf einer Gerade", I agree to that and think you can use it like that, maybe 'Geraden' is even wrong on that place. Sadly us German-speakers aren't too fond with our own language at times. I think I found why it is used the way we see here:

Duden defines it as a 'substantiviertes Adjektiv', meaning its usage is derived from the adjective 'gerade' (straight). If you add 'Straße'(road) it becomes "Auf einer geraden Straße", which is correct.

I think that coudld be why it is used incorrectly, yet doesn't seem so.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.