Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When do you remove "daran"?

A: Woher kommst du nochmal?

B: Ich komme aus Berlin.

A: Ich erinnere mich.

Why is the "daran" removed here?

Can it also be not removed in this context?

A: Woher kommst du nochmal?

B: Ich komme aus Berlin.

A: Ich erinnere mich daran

What will the meaning of the sentence be if the "daran" is there?

share|improve this question

Can you imagine situations where both of the English sentences “I remember” and “I remember that” were appropriate? –  Carsten Schultz Jan 11 at 12:49

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The daran can have several meanings here:

1. the fact, that B is from Berlin.
  2. the fact, that A told B he was from Berlin earlier.
  3. the actual event when B came from Berlin.

But you can also have the sentence mean the same without daran.

The difference is, what meaning an average native speaker will think of most likely:

• Without daran, an average native speaker will most likely think of meaning 1.
  • With daran, an average native speaker will most likely think of meaning 3.

Be aware, that this likelyhood estimation is my own subjective one.

share|improve this answer

"Daran" is a short form for "da dran" or "an das". So it's used to emphasize an actual fact one is talking about. Compare the following:

A: Wo wohnst Du? B: In Berlin. Solltest Du wissen. A: Ich erinnere mich nicht. B: Doch, du hast mich letztes Jahr besucht. A: Stimmt, daran erinnere ich mich.

So here the "daran" emphasizes that he remembers the visit.

In your example, it is better left away, because A remembers the whole thing about his friend comming from Berlin. It isn't wrong, though as it will be understood in the sense of "Ich erinnere mich, daran, dass du mir das schonmal gesagt hast".

So in general, the word is often optional and does not change the meaning significantly.

share|improve this answer
Echt? I thought always "daran" was more fundamental than "da dran". That is, for lots of prepositions there exists the construction da+Präp (darum, darüber, darauf, darin, dagegen, dafür...) So I thought that it was natural that "daran" could be actually come from this construction. –  c.p. Jan 11 at 9:57
From my felling, "daran" ist really just a shortcut for the long forms, although a very common one. –  PMF Jan 11 at 14:37

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.