Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

X said to Y:

Ich wünsche dir ein glückliches Leben voll von dem Gutem zu dir.

Y was hopeless, so he said:

Von was für ein glückliches Leben redest du?

Are those sentences above correct?

share|improve this question

Well, no they aren't. - However, you tagged them with "prepositions" and "adverbs". Maybe you could tell us what exactly it is, your unsure about. I removed tag "translation" as there's no original English sentence in your question. –  Em1 Jan 11 at 20:29

First sentence: "voll von Gutem" without the article because there is no specific "good" to point at, also, remove the second "zu dir". The first "dir" makes that clear already. Second sentence... you'd have to use Dative because it's "von" "Von was für einem glücklichen Leben..." –  Emanuel Jan 11 at 20:34

"ein glückliches Leben voll von Gutem" is not idiomatically correct German even after you remove the article. –  Phira Jan 11 at 23:10

2 Answers 2

I corrected your sentences a little bit:

X said to Y:

"Ich wünsche Dir ein glückliches Leben und alles Gute für Dich."

Y was hopeless, so he said:

"Von was für einem glücklichen Leben redest du?"

Hope this is what you wanted to express.

share|improve this answer
I find the second "für Dich" redundant. The Dative make it clear who the wish is directed to. Adding a second target that is identical with the first is weird. –  Emanuel Jan 12 at 22:23

That's right. I just wanted to make it as similar as possible to the given sentence. –  Thorben Jan 13 at 19:36

Ich wünsche dir ein glückliches Leben voll von Gutem.

das Gute is an abstract noun. You must not use dem.

Ich wünsche dir gives already the addressee so zu dir is not needed (and wrong, cause in such a case actually e. g. für dich would be used)

Von was für einem glücklichen Leben redest du?

von requires the dative (von dem glücklichen Leben)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.