Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you say " I am going to the McDonald's drive thru " in German?

Mein Versuch : Ich fahre zu McD. Drive-thru?

share|improve this question
My suggestion would be not to do this at all. I mean eating at the drive-thru ;-) –  PMF Jan 13 at 9:28

Ich bin doch zu faul, um zu Hause zu kochen. ;) –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 13 at 10:40
Selbst dann nehme ich nicht den Drive-In, sondern setze mich an einen Tisch. Im Auto einen Burger zu essen kommt meistens nicht so gut raus. –  PMF Jan 13 at 11:31

To sound German, just say "drive sru" –  Emanuel Jan 13 at 17:13

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

McDonald's Drive Thru is actually called McDrive in Germany. So you could safely say that.

share|improve this answer

Like always there are possibilities that are used in colloquial language and some that are also correct but not used very frequently.

Ich fahre zum McDonald’s-Drive-In.

This would be the version I consider to be used most of the times.

Or

Ich fahre durch den McDondald’s-Drive-In.

To me this is possible but I consider it not to be used as often as the upper version.

In German, a drive thru is called Drive-In most of the times.

share|improve this answer
As pointed out by Thorsten Dittmar: The Drive through is called McDrive here, so you could as well colloquially say "Ich fahre zu McD, durch den McDrive". Although it sounds a bit like you were trying to get to McD by driving through the McDrive, everyone will know what you mean and I doubt you'd talk about McD in a setting that doesn't allow coll. speak. –  Mark Jan 13 at 8:32

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.