Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a question about sentence structure. I found a sentence like this,

Wenn Sie es wissen muessen, so erkläre ich Ihnen, dass ich einen Besuch gehabt habe.

My question is about the first clause. If I were to write

"You must know it", I would say "Sie müssen es wissen". Why then does it become "wissen müssen" when I say "If you must know it ..." ?

share|improve this question

"Besuch" is not usually used with an indefinite article in German. You'd just drop the article: "...dass ich Besuch gehabt habe." –  elena Jan 13 at 9:34

The main clause is "so erkläre ich Ihnen [object]. Just because it is the first clause that doesn't make the knowing part the main clause. –  Emanuel Jan 13 at 17:10

@elena That's just what the book said. It's from Assimil. I don't know. –  Korgan Rivera Jan 13 at 19:32
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 1 down vote accepted

"Wenn" is a subordinating conjunction like "weil" and "dass" and hence the verb needs to be placed at the end when this is used.

Wenn ich genug Geld hätte, dann...

share|improve this answer

But the second half of the sentence also begins with a subordinating conjunction (dass), so I'm confused. –  Korgan Rivera Jan 13 at 1:21
You can have two subordinating conjunctions in a sentence. If you wanted to say "if I had known, that I had enough money" that would also be a similar construct "wenn ich gewusst hätte, dass ich genug Geld hatte". Hope that helps. –  user5105 Jan 13 at 1:29

It does, thanks :) –  Korgan Rivera Jan 13 at 1:51

@KorganRivera The Sentence structure here is [Subclause 1 Level A, Main Clause, Subclause 2 Level A] Both subclauses reference the main clause so erkläre ich Ihnen. The example in user5105's comment has the structure [Subclause Level A, Subclause Level B, Main clause (missing)]. The second subclause dass ich genug Geld hatte is referencing the first subclause instead of the main clause. –  Toscho Jan 13 at 8:33
add comment

To begin I will point out that your original sentence isn't a full sentence (right now it roughly translates to "If you must know that I've had a visit.") But the entirety of the sentence isn't in question.

It's

Wenn Sie es wissen müssen

because wenn is a subordinating conjunction which means that all verbs in the clause following wenn come at the end (if there's more than 1 they come in reverse order from how they'd normally appear.

Wenn er ankommt, gehen wir heim (normal: Er kommt an)

Wenn Sie das wirklich wissen wollen... (normal: Sie wollen das wirklich wissen)

Wenn du das Haus bauen lassen willst... (normal: Du willst das Haus bauen lassen)

share|improve this answer

You're right: I missed out part of that sentence. I have corrected it. –  Korgan Rivera Jan 13 at 1:32
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.