Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you say "Recycling Center" in German?

I am going to the Recycling Center to recycle soda cans.

Ich fahre ins Recyclingzentrum um Sodakannen zu recyceln.

Is "Recyclingzentrum" the right word here in this context ? Because I saw another translation for this word and it was very long.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Carsten Schultz, Vogel612, fifaltra, Dustin, Baz Jan 13 at 15:27

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This question appears to be off-topic because it is not about a finer point of the German language. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 13 at 14:00
Also, beverage cans are called Getränkedosen in German, not Sodakannen. ;) –  Lars Beck Jan 13 at 14:00
To my understanding of German we're not the one doing the recycling. The company does it. What we do is "Müll trennen" and in case of returning cans... well... what we do is "abgeben/wegbringen/zurückgeben"... we do not do the recycling. Also, we return our stuff at the grocery store and there are no recycling centers for cans or stuff. At least not that I know of. For bigger stuff like washing machines or fridges.. those are brought to the Recyclinghof. –  Emanuel Jan 13 at 17:15

@DerPolyglott33, where on earth do you ever come up with these apparently, but not quite, German phrases? Who would ever use "Sodakannen"? No German native speaker would, I can assure you!! If you translate that stuff yourself, please stop. If you get these phrases from another party, please burn their materials and never visit their web sites again. It's pure rubbish. –  teylyn Jan 14 at 9:04

In Österreich gibt es das "Altstoffsammelzentrum" –  schlingel Jan 14 at 10:07

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Those places, at least those run by the administration, are called

• Wertstoffhof (der) or
  • Recyclinghof (der)

See „Recyclinghof“ at Wikipedia.

The preposition to use is zu dem, most often contracted to zum.

Also we have a very complex recycling system in Germany (Wikipedia), besides those yards. Especially the section Siehe auch is interesting to get an overview of how it works.

share|improve this answer

So it's not "Recyclingzentrum" in this context? –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 13 at 20:07
I've never once heard "Recyclingzentrum" in my life, and while it's morphologically sound and the meaning can be guessed, it is not guaranteed to be guessed correctly, much less pictured. The key to translation is not just mechanically translating a word, but checking if the concept behind it is familiar to the target audience. And no German will take his cans to a Wertstoffhof, which are far and few between and where no money changes hands. What every German will do instead is take the cans to the nearest supermarket, and get back a whopping 25 cent deposit per can. –  RegDwight Jan 13 at 22:28
Kann man sagen "Ich bringe Getränkdose in den Werkstoffhof weg"? –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 14 at 4:52
@DerPolyglott33 No, for two reasons. Firstly: You don't bring cans there. Those go into the so called "Gelber Sack" Secondly: It would be "Ich bringe die Getränkedose(/meinen alten Fernseher) zum Wertstoffhof". Your intention to get rid of it there is so strongly implied that you don't need to mention it. If you were to bring something there, that doesn't naturally go there, like let's say our mother in law, then you should add a cause. –  Mark Jan 14 at 6:35

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.