Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I need these terms translated for a contact form that I am building for a German website.

• Please enter the security code
  • Security Check
  • Try another code
  • Enter code

So far I have these terms that a friend helped me with.

Please enter the security code

Bitte den Sicherheitscode eingeben

Security Check

Sicherheitsüberprüfung

Try another code

Versuchen Sie einen anderen Code

That one seemed very long. Any other suggestions?

Enter code

Code eingeben
share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by thekeyofgb, Em1, c.p., Carsten Schultz, Takkat Jan 14 at 8:10

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Asking for translations is not appropriate on this Stack Exchange, as far as I know. Unless you're having specific problems with the translations (if you do, please edit your post), I don't think this question belongs here. –  clinch Jan 14 at 3:18
@clinch how is a translation not appropriate for a language site? I am looking at like 20 questions with a lot of upvotes that have to do with translation. And there was a tag for "english to german" translation. This unwelcoming attitude on Stack exchange is getting obnoxious. Please remove your downvote. –  JGallardo Jan 14 at 3:20
The OP has a point when he writes that there have been many questions here recently which were not much better. They should have been closed. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 14 at 7:09
sigh Not better but more acceptable. As said, I tolerate those questions. For the future: actually you rather should come up with a particular problem like: "I'm having trouble translating the word 'x' in context 'y' because I don't think my translation 'z' sounds OK as my Internet search resulted in 'z' not being common, so I wonder how I can improve this sentence." Or something like this. I think you get the point. Still, we're neither a translations nor a proofreading service. - You're question is answered anyway. –  Em1 Jan 14 at 19:28
I personally think that now that the translation attempts have been added this question should be reopened since as it was pointed out, quite a few questions in a similar form have received answers and not been closed. But, so does this mean that questions that ask for a translation with just an attempt at a translation will no longer be valid questions? –  thekeyofgb Jan 14 at 23:52
show 5 more comments

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I don't see any problem in this question and I don't mind because as a native German it takes me one minute to answer this question.

• Please enter the security code

Bitte gib den Sicherheitscode ein.

• Security Check

Sicherheitskontrolle.

• Try another code

Bitte versuch es mit einem anderen Code.

• Enter code

Gib den Code ein.

Hope that helps.

share|improve this answer

I have not been visiting many German sites in the last few years, but do they really use "Du" instead of "Sie"? What is the accepted tone of voice in web sites? Geben Sie den Code ein. or Gib den Code ein. --?? –  teylyn Jan 14 at 9:01

@teylyn.. I agree. I think the standard is still "Sie" unless the site is specifically targeted to people under 16. I think they avoid it for sites for the 20ish so as to not have them think the site is childish. That how it came across for me... not impolite but just childish. –  Emanuel Jan 14 at 9:42
Well I do see a problem in this question. Answering it encourages more low quality questions by the same reason that the OP cannot believe that his question is not on topic (i.e. " I am looking at like 20 questions with a lot of upvotes that have to do with translation.") The point is that if somebody already answered questions that showed no effort, why should users bother to ask properly? –  c.p. Jan 14 at 13:27

@c.p. what is the German translation for "Porque estas llorando tanto?" –  JGallardo Jan 14 at 17:39
@JGallardo Well, converting the question you posed into good Spanish (which means correcting four mistakes), you got a perfect translation by Emanuel. If you want the meaning in German, you need to open a new question ;) –  c.p. Jan 14 at 18:54
show 5 more comments

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.