Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is this correctly translated?

As far as hair is concerned, some might call mine a blessing. According to women’s magazines and most shampoos, my hair is classified as “normal.” Not too oily and not too dry. Not too thin and not too thick. It is the Baby Bear porridge of hair. While I agree it’s great having “normal” hair, it’s also a bit disconcerting.

Betreffende meine Hare, Manchen würden sagen, es ist ein Segen. Laut Frauenzeitschriften und Schampons ist mein Har ‘normal’. Nicht zu fettig, nicht zu trocken. Nicht zu dünn, nicht zu dick. Es ist wie der Babybrei des Hares. Obschon ich einverstanden bin, dass es fabelhaft ist normales Har zu haben, ist es auch ein wenig beunruhigend.

share|improve this question
Since you only asked if the text is correctly translated: No, it is not. Not even quite close as PMF answered. –  jarnbjo Jan 15 at 15:31

At least 6 errors in the very first sentence. The other sentence, fortunately, only contain typos (disregarding semantic issues). –  Em1 Jan 15 at 15:44
However, I must vote for close. This is not a proofreading service and it's not our intent to correct all your mistakes. Please narrow down the question, indicating what exactly you're having trouble with. And while you're doing so, please fix all typos. –  Em1 Jan 15 at 15:49

I don't see why this is closed. The OP wants to have help on whether his translation is good or not. That doesn't seem to be the point meta.german.stackexchange.com/q/136/60 is about. –  PMF Jan 15 at 16:56

@PMF You're right that this is not the point of the post you linked to. It's not even mentioned there. However, I gave a few hints how the question can be amended so that is becomes on-topic. If OP is willing to do so, we're willing to help. Simple, isn't it? –  Em1 Jan 15 at 20:36
show 2 more comments

closed as off-topic by Em1, Thorsten Dittmar, Emanuel, fifaltra, Baz Jan 15 at 16:47

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

up vote -1 down vote accepted

Quite close. It's "Betreffend meiner Haare: Manche würden sagen, sie sind ein Segen. ...". "Haar" always has two a. While literally correct, the term "Babybrei des Haares" sounds odd, I wouldn't consider it a positive description. Babybrei is something you eat when you don't have any teeth any more.

share|improve this answer

Thanks! One 'side' question. If I post this, how long can my translation be? I am translating a blog for my own exercise, self study. I assume I cannot enter texts of hundreds of words here, right? –  JaJa Jan 15 at 15:32

Oh, the amount of text you can enter is quite huge, but this page is not a translation site. It would be preferable if you posted the sentences that are most difficult for you together with explanations on why this is so. –  PMF Jan 15 at 15:58

Yes, thought it was probably too much. I will ask more specific questions then. By the way, I am Dutch, my native language Dutch is very close to German, and I am trying to pass Goethe B2 by self study. Hence this is a little bit of home work I have committed myself to do. Is it allowed to ask for help here? Or is this only for teachers and professional translators? –  JaJa Jan 16 at 7:53

No (I'm neither). Of course it is allowed (and welcome) to ask for help here. But the questions should be specific and short. Em1 has given you some hints on this. You should ask specific questions on small items (can I translate [this sentence] like this and will one understand the meaning?), not broad ones (is this [bunch of text] translated correctly?) –  PMF Jan 16 at 9:10

Okay that is fine! Actually I like it that way, since I am a refugee from another website where some people were abusing the notebook entries they could submit for correction as political and religious pamphlets. Like this it just stay pure with no chit chat and no preaching! Since I have a few new things I have learnt from my question, for me it is answered and I continue with my study. –  JaJa Jan 16 at 14:20
add comment

not exactly, the first sentence is is a bit different. You would translate

"As far as hair is concerned"

with

"Was (das) Haar angeht" - 'das' is optional

which is a very common sentence.

"some call mine a blessing" is "manche nennen meines ( = mein Haar) einen Segen"

Haar was mispelled (2 a is correct) and "Manche" is lowercase when not following a .! or ?

Sorry, i forgot to add this: "Manche" might look like it succeeds the rule when german words are uppercase, but it stands for "manche Leute", (or "manche Personen", whatever you image), so the nomen is simply left out..

share|improve this answer

That's better than mine, I guess. –  PMF Jan 15 at 15:29

Thanks. Actually my native language is Dutch not English. I am just translating English to German to practice both in one strike. –  JaJa Jan 16 at 7:56
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.