Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Dieses Ökonomieproblem wurde dem Präsidenten zur Kenntnis gelangt.

Dem Präsident hat das Ökonomieproblem zur Kenntnis gebracht.

What is the difference between the two phrases? Can they be interchangeable?

share|improve this question
Neither sentence has a meaning. Since we do not know what the intended meaning is, we cannot correct them. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 16 at 11:23

ok that makes sense –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 16 at 11:24

@CarstenSchultz To be even more picky: An ungrammatical sequence of words is not even a sentence ... –  Ingo Jan 16 at 12:28

I guess you confused the two meanings: The first sentence should be with gebracht and the second with ist ... gelangt. And even then it does not make too much sense. But you should really be able to deduce that from translations in a dictionary –  fifaltra Jan 16 at 15:54
add comment

closed as unclear what you're asking by Em1, Baz, fifaltra, Wrzlprmft, Ingmar Jan 16 at 16:47

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I'll just focus on the two verbs in this answer.

You cannot

jmdm zur Kenntnis gelangen.

"Gelangen" means "to reach" or to "make it to a place" and you can only do it. You cannot do it to someone.

I reach you to Berlin... nope

Also, Kenntnis isn't used in combination with "gelangen" simply because people chose not to (no deeper reason). But you can attain it.

Ich erlange Kenntnis von...

"Gelangen" works with "Erkenntnis" which means "Insight"

Ich gelange zu der Erkenntnis, dass...

So... "Erkenntnis" is something you can go to in an abstract sense, and that works for "bringen" too

Ich bringe dich zu der Erkenntnis...

With "Kenntnis" it is different again. It can mean knowledge you acquire but also the entirety of the knowledge you already have... kind of.

Ich bringe/gebe dir zur Kenntnis, dass...

I give/bring to your knowledge, that ... (lit.)

And then there is also this phrasing

Ich setze dich in Kenntnis über...

So... these phrasings work but you cannot exchange parts because they are all fixed idioms that people have grown accustomed to.

share|improve this answer

Man, i am not gonna trust books anymore! –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 16 at 11:14
@DerPolyglott33... seriously man, what books are you using? –  Emanuel Jan 16 at 11:18

Contemporary German Usage –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 16 at 11:19

@Emmanuel this site helped me alot in correcting all my mistakes. –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 16 at 11:20

@DerPolyglott33 Whatever you read, it's NOT contemporary German. –  Em1 Jan 16 at 13:58
add comment

First of all both sentences unfortunately are incorrect. In addition to that they are not of a very high style.

Durch dieses Ökonomieproblem ist der Präsident zur Kenntnis gelangt.

This Version for example is correct. However, Kenntnis refers to knowledge. You would rather use Erkenntnis (insight) here because I assume that the president got an insight to an economical process due to the problem. That just as an example.

Furthermore there are different things to consider.

Der Präsident hat Kenntnis von dem Ökonomieproblem.

This would mean that the President is informed about the problem. He HAS "Kenntnis".

Der Präsident wurde über das Problem in Kenntnis gesetzt.

Someone informed the president and gave him insights concerning the problem.

You see that the way you use different verbs in this case can completely change the meaning. However, if you want to say that the president got insights about a certain problem you now have a few examples.

Hope that helps.

share|improve this answer

Could you tell me how the two phrases are used? –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 16 at 9:58

Those that I wrote down or those that you have in your question? –  user3126997 Jan 16 at 9:59

I wanted to know how to use "jmdm zur Kenntnis bringen" and "jmdm zur Kenntnis gelangen" –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 16 at 10:41

I think it should be either "zu dieser Kentniss" or "zur Kenntnis vün/über/, dass". "Zur Kenntnis" allein am Satzende klingt als ob was fehlt, da der bestimmte Artikel im Verbund mit "zu" alle seine hinweisende Kraft verliert. Das nachfolgende Objekt muss also spezifizert werden, es sei denn, es ist ein Allgemeinplatz wie U-Bahn.. ops.. mix Deutsch English.. sorry :) –  Emanuel Jan 16 at 10:58

I would not say that Durch dieses Ökonomieproblem ist der Präsident zur Kenntnis gelangt. is correct! Is should either be "Dieses Ökonomieproblem ist dem Präsidenten zur Kenntnis gelangt* (he was told about it), or Durch dieses ... ist der Präsident zu der Erkenntnis gelangt, dass ... (through the problem he realized, that ...). –  Thorsten Dittmar Jan 17 at 7:14
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.