Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came across this sentence in Wikipedia:

Eine Tasse ist ein Trinkgefäß mit Henkel, das vorrangig für Heißgetränke verwendet wird.

Ein Henkel is a countable noun. In English, a singular countable noun usually takes an article. So it will be "with a handle". Isn't it the same in German? If so, shouldn't it be "mit einem Henkel"?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

You can often leave the "einem"/"einen" aus, like in "Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone" (Instead of "Mit einem Schirm, Charme und einer Melone" - for 'Charme', it is still left out because it is not countable). When the number is obvious (Henkel is singular, so it's clear that there's only one anyway), you can leave it out without problem.

Anyway, it is always correct to say "..mit einem Henkel.."

share|improve this answer

yes, i am sorry - i corrected it –  christian.s Jan 18 at 21:47

Wieso war "Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone" mit nur einem Schirm? Und für Alte, Kranke und Kinder gibt es auch Tassen mit 2 Henkeln. Auf die Einzahl kommt es m.E. nicht an. Sie und Ihre Familie können mit Auto anreisen. Ich kaufe eine Hose mit Saum. –  user unknown Jan 19 at 3:59

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.