Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was reading the following answer on Meta: http://meta.german.stackexchange.com/a/615/2906

And noticed the following sentence:

Diese Frage ist meiner Meinung nach ein Duplikat von dieser.

This seemed weird to me because I thought nach required the following article to be in the dative case, however the user did not use the dative case. Was this a mistake on his/her part or does the dative requirement go away with the "meiner Meinung nach" construct?

share|improve this question

The dative of „meine Meinung“ is „meiner Meinung“. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 17 at 1:02

@CarstenSchultz I see that, however, are you implying that technically the expression could be "nach meiner Meinung?" If so, why has the expression become "meiner Meinung nach?" –  Dustin Jan 17 at 1:14

@CarstenSchultz My question is less with the "meiner" part and more to do with the "nach ein" part. –  Dustin Jan 17 at 1:51

related: german.stackexchange.com/a/7595/5513 –  user5513 Mar 1 at 19:58

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

The basic structure of this sentence is

Diese Frage ist ein Duplikat von jener.

Then an IMO is inserted, which can be formulated as „meiner Meinung nach“ or „nach meiner Meinung“- In either case the nach refers to meine Meinung, and the insertion of the phrase does not alter the case of any part of the original sentence.

share|improve this answer

And for completion.. we're looking at Genitive of Meinung here, if the nach comes after and at Dative if it comes before it. –  Emanuel Jan 17 at 11:18

So you are saying it would be "meines Empfindens nach"? –  Carsten Schultz Jan 17 at 13:11
Good point... I was actually thinking "wessen Meinung nach" but that totally doesn't refer to "nach" :). I think it is not clear for "nach" though ... "meines Wissens nach", "meinem Empfinden nach"... both is right, depending on the exact words. –  Emanuel Jan 17 at 13:27

I agree, it is unclear. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 17 at 13:30

@Emanuel Setz doch mal Namen ein und teste, ob du ein s anhängst oder nicht ;) "Emanuel Empfinden nach" ... Nope. –  Em1 Jan 17 at 16:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.