Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Es sieht aus, als ob er ohne seine Freundin ins Kino geht.

Ich bin mir unsicher, ob diese Satzbildung richtig ist. Was ich schon weiß, ist, dass die "als ob"-Struktur bloß im Konjunktiv geht.

share|improve this question

It can take any time in any mode –  Emanuel Jan 20 at 14:11

Die Gegenwart nehmen? Just take the present time! The whole? Well, 40 ounzes, perhaps? –  user unknown Jan 22 at 4:18

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

You need to use the Konjunktiv-Form of the verb and depending on the context (whether possible or not possible) you use either Konjunktiv I or Konjunktiv II (possibly with würde).

In your example above, the sentence structure sounds off. The Objekt should be in front of the place in your example.

Es sieht aus, als ob er ohne seine Freundin ins Kino gehe.

share|improve this answer

Einige meiner Freunde lassen das ob aus. –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 20 at 7:47

If you omit the ob, you will need to change the sentence structure again and have the verb follow the als directly. --> Es sieht aus, als ginge er ohne Freundin ins Kino. –  SentryRaven Jan 20 at 7:53

Aber das Tätigkeitswort bleibt im Konjunktiv. :) –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 20 at 7:57

I disagree "Du siehst aus, als ob du müde wärst/seist." "Sieht aus, als ob wir warten müssten"...sorry, but no way! Indicative present is the way t go unless you want to contrive a really really theoretical context. I think there is no defined need for anything. In German, it depends on the message, not on the conjunction. –  Emanuel Jan 20 at 14:10

Just to confirm: You want to say that the examples you just gave are incorrect and you would instead use the Indikativ-form of the verbs, bist and müssen? –  SentryRaven Jan 20 at 15:32

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.