Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would you say "I can't eat spicy food"?

Ich kann kein scharfes Essen essen.

It sounds strange to put two "Essen"s together. Or is it okay? What would be other ways?

share|improve this question

Ich kann scharfe Küche nicht essen. –  thandasoru Jan 21 at 5:47

Why not -Ich kann keine scharfe Speise essen? –  David Rose Jan 25 at 10:54
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 13 down vote accepted

It is perfectly correct, but as you say one might want to avoid it. If one does not want to search for a different word for „Essen“ or „essen“ then one can resort to

Ich kann nichts Scharfes essen.

share|improve this answer

Yes he can! After all, he can only notice that it is spicy when he eats it. Another question is if he likes it. </nitpicking> –  Ingo Jan 20 at 23:37
@ingo poor you.. "html" tags are getting parsed... instead you could use *nitpicking* or [nitpicking] –  Vogel612 Jan 21 at 8:16
Im mündlichen Ausdruck würde ich mir keinen Kopp machen - das merkt niemand, dass da zwei Essen in Folge stehen. Aber willst Du vielleicht scharfe Speisen speisen? –  user unknown Jan 22 at 5:09
add comment

Entirely correct. The one Essen is the noun and essen the verb. You could also use

Ich vertrage kein scharfes Essen.

add comment

Essen essen is perfectly correct. However, I'd translate the can't with darf nicht:

Ich darf nichts Scharfes essen.

Ich vertrage nicht is a little bit different to Ich darf nicht:

• Ich vertrage nicht means my body has a bad reaction to spicy food.

• Ich darf nicht means I am not allowed to eat spicy food.

Both are possible translations - depending on the writer's intentions.

Why don’t you elaborate a bit on the differences? –  Wrzlprmft Jan 21 at 7:31

@Wrzlprmft Done. –  halloleo Jan 21 at 11:28
Except you can't use this translation in the same context as the original english; this implies you're actually forbidden from eating spicy food (possibly because of religious reasons) or are literally unable to (because you're maybe allergic to everything that's spicy). "vertragen" is correct in this context; it's colloquial, but it's well understood as "I dislike this to the extent of refusing to eat it". –  Cubic Jan 21 at 14:00

@Cubic In the question I cannot find any context from the original poster. So we have to paint a picture of different possibilities. –  halloleo Jan 21 at 21:15

One English expression for "ich vertrage scharfes Essen nicht" could be "spicy food does not agree with me". –  ssc Jan 22 at 21:09
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.