Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Das Skigebiet rund um Oberstdorf etwa ist das höchstgelegene der Region

Why can "etwa" be in that position? What is it modifying? I thought it should be "etwa rund um Oberstdorf" to mean "approximately around Oberstdorf".

share|improve this question

So, if Lars Beck is correct with his answer, I'd say that etwa is wrong. "Das Skigebiet rund um Oberstdorf ist das höchstgelegene der Region." Aber: "Das Skigebiet rund um Oberstdorf etwa ist eines der höchstgelegenen der Welt." Or someone should give me a meaningful context where the sentence as given in the question makes utter sense. I don't see it. –  Em1 Jan 21 at 16:31

@Em1 Imagine some people talking about skiing-areas in the Oberallgäu region and one of them mentions that the one around Oberstdorf is the most altitudinous of them, in this case the sentence makes sense (for example, another one could be the largest). –  Lars Beck Jan 21 at 16:40

@Em1 "Wir haben im Allgäu lauter Superlative! Das Skigebiet ... etwa ist das höchstgelegene der Region!" Dämlich, somit marketinggerecht. –  Ingo Jan 21 at 16:43

Kontext: "Von mehreren Skigebieten genießen die höchstgelegenen die stärksten Besucherzahlen und damit Bekanntheitsgrade. Das Skigebiet ..." –  user unknown Jan 22 at 5:24
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 13 down vote accepted

In this case etwa means beispielsweise (for example), thus the sentence also could be written as below.

Das Skigebiet rund um Oberstdorf beispielsweise ist das höchstgelegene der Region.

Update: I just spotted a mistake in the original example: there's a difference between höchst gelegen and höchstgelegen, the first one means very convenient, the second one most altitudinous.

share|improve this answer
Correct. The text this sentence comes from starts of with listing different activities one can do in the larger area, then naming Obersdorf as an example for a specific place in the area. –  linac Jan 21 at 15:30
@Lars Hier zeigt sich wieder schön die Idiotie der aus ein ander Schreibung. Habe die Erfahrung bei meinen Kindern gemacht, daß sie grund sätzlich alles aus ein ander schreiben, was nur irgend wie nach mehreren Wörtern aus sieht, obwohl das natürlich so nicht gedacht war. Sieht so aus, als wären sie nicht die einzigen. –  Ingo Jan 21 at 16:15
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.