Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"In the last months" can be translated straightforwardly as

In den letzten Monaten.

For "in the last few months", would it be

In den letzten einigen Monaten

or

In den einigen letzten Monaten

or neither of those is correct?

share|improve this question
einige doesn't work here, you should use paar: In den letzten paar Monaten. –  fifaltra Jan 21 at 22:59

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Neither of those are correct; The few is already implied in "In den letzten Monaten" - you wouldn't say that if you actually meant many months. As fifaltra pointed out, you could add "paar" to make it more obvious.

share|improve this answer

Oder in den wenigen, letzten Monaten, aber auch ich meine, dass das wenige sich von selbst versteht. Spontan fällt mir auch kein Kontext ein, in dem man viele Monate meinen würde. –  user unknown Jan 22 at 2:16

in den letzten paar wäre aus meiner Sicht die korrekte "vollständige" Übersetzung. Die Bedeutung wenige für few ist mir auch im Kopf, aber ich glaube, dann müsste die Word-Order im Originalsatz ein bisschen anders sein: the few last months of his life oder the few last days we had together. –  Thorsten Dittmar Jan 22 at 9:36

"In den letzten Monaten" is fine, your other examples would be wrong.

"In letzter Zeit" can be used if the context is clear or not that important (e.g. "In letzter Zeit sind die Preise für Benzin gestiegen")

I would not use "paar", in my opinion it is slang in this context. At least i would not write it down that way, though i actually might say it.

You can also say "Während der letzten Monate" The exact translation would be 'during the last few months' and this does not mean the same as "In den letzten Monaten" - the difference is the same as in english.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.