New answers tagged


In short, no, Weltschmerz is not untranslatable, but it’s often rather hard to translate well into English. The real question is either whether there are any words or phrases in any language that are untranslatable or whether there are words in a particular language (e.g. German Weltschmerz) that have no direct translation or cognate in a certain other ...


Gier probably means it is somehow messy, here is an example for ships that are tumbling around: On first read the "nothing left", @tofro mentions, made sense to me, like it describes some wasteland. But the whole "gier and gar" seems to be related to Fieberhauch, not to the floor. But never heard that ...


What about 'world weariness'? I think it describes it pretty well.


I guess (also from the "bissig und bös" question) the poem you're translating is Yvan Goll's "Der Panama-Kanal". "gier und gar" actually is not an idiom in German, and a literal translation along the lines of greed and cooked doesn't make any sense - not even to a native speaker. gar has a meaning in some southern German dialects and Austrian German of ...


I never heard of it before and your post is the only hit in an online search... Maybe you mean "ganz und gar". That just means "completely", "totally", ... "without leftovers".


Bissig relates to the verb "beissen" - So it's actually biting. "Böss" should be "böse" - so "bad", or "evil" (your "naughty" is not wrong, though) The whole thing, provided it relates to animals, as you said, thus is best translated to biting and bad In relation to humans, the translation would probably be a bit different, like snappy and evil ...


"GETRIEBEÖL WECHS" is probably "Getriebeöl wechseln" (Change the gearbox oil) and "NÄCHSTE WART." is probably "Nächste Wartung" (next maintenance). For me it sounds like it it not urgent, but that you should change the gearbox oil when you have the next maintenance. (Warnung: I have no idea about car mechanics, I just translated and interpreted the German) ...


In der Patentschrift ist von zwei Trennkörpern die Rede, die beide den Stromfluss unterbinden. Einer wird für das Ausschalten verwendet, der zweite tritt bei Überlastung des Stromkreises in Aktion, indem er das Einschalten verhindert. Als Übersetzung scheint mir separating object angemessen oder separating part.

Top 50 recent answers are included