How can I learn German in one week?

If there is way to listen and talk that will be better.

For which purpose would you need your German basics after a one-week crash course? – Takkat Feb 12 '14 at 7:28
    I can not understand the second sentence... please someone tell me I'm not dumb.. – Vogel612 Feb 12 '14 at 7:42
    Well, people say german is a very difficult language to learn. I'll say they're right, as I'm still learning it, despite it being my native tongue. So the simple answer to this question is: You can't. – PMF Feb 12 '14 at 8:13
    Nobody can learn a language in one week. – Em1 Feb 12 '14 at 8:50
    @Em1 there was this autistic guy, who learned Finnnish in ten days... – Vogel612 Feb 12 '14 at 9:45

If you want to learn some formulas as Guten Tag, Auf Wiedersehen, Danke, Bitte, Ja, Nein, and so on, I think you can do it in one week. Whether you can call this "to learn German" is another question.

There are books available that promise "Learn German/English in thirty hours" - that is throwing sand in your eyes. They mean thirty lessons of German/English and contain nothing but a basic survey of the basic grammar of a language and perhaps a vocabulary of 500 to 1000 words.

Don't fool yourself. The study of a foreign language is always a study of several years, no matter how many people tell you you can learn German in a week. They want to sell you something. And they promise you the moon.

And studying a foreign language has its price. You need good tools for learning a language. A dictionary for beginners, a bigger dictionary, a good grammar for beginners, course books, audio material, texts for beginners - all that has its cost. And when you engage a private teacher, he has his price too. Good things cost money.

And forget "Crash Courses". What you learn in the one week of a crash course you have forgotten in the next week. Some people think learning a language is another person that fills the language in their mind. No, learning a foreign language is a technique you have to learn for yourself and most people who learn a foreign language know nothing about the technique of learning a language. It is an active thing, not a passive thing that others do for you.

• I haven't better to say than you have said. Very good words. – Guilherme Oderdenge Feb 12 '14 at 13:39
  • actually after this i have to say shame on me :) but can recommend for me some good book or audio lessons and thanks – Hadi M.NourAllah Feb 13 '14 at 6:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.