This question already has an answer here:

My understanding is that, sometimes, "dass" can be omitted and the word order changed accordingly:

Ich weiß, dass er zu Hause ist.

or

Ich weiß, er ist zu Hause.

Now the question: can the above transformation always be applied (ie, every time one would use "dass")? Or only in certain cases (if so, when)?

marked as duplicate by Emanuel, Wrzlprmft, Baz, Vogel612, Ingmar Mar 20 '14 at 19:48

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• Ok, from that page and the linked wikipedia and canoo.net pages I can see that...it can "often" be done (I'm purposely ignoring the Indikativ -> Konjunktiv I change in indirect speech). – persson Mar 19 '14 at 22:18
  • @I commend you for ignoring that. Nobody ever talks that way and by talking I mean also emails and so on – Emanuel Mar 20 '14 at 10:54
  • So you mean that normally the "dass" form is preferred? Or are you referring to the use of indicative rather than Subjunktiv for indirect speech? – persson Mar 22 '14 at 10:23
    @karoshi... indicative vs. subjunctive... for verbs like "sagen, glauben,..." plus a short follow up information, the dassless version is more common, I'd say for the dass-version is just boring. "Er sagt, er kommt." vs. "Er sagt, dass er kommt"... just one word more. The rest is the same – Emanuel Mar 22 '14 at 21:55

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.