So we have seen how the crew addresses the Captain in this question; but how about the Chief? At about 3:03:00, Lt. Werner asks the Chief,

Kommen wir je wieder hoch, LI?

and calls him something like »LI«. What is he saying?

Also, the Kaleun said at about 3:07:30:

Gut, LI

[edited to show what surely must be the answer from @Ansgar below and from listening again closely.]

This question appears to be off-topic because it is not about the German language. – Carsten S Mar 23 '14 at 14:40
  • This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a very specific dialogue, or a single word from a movie. As such it is unlikely to help future visitors and may possibly lead to an overlong debate as to which word was actually meant. – Takkat Mar 25 '14 at 9:52
  • Translations requests from German should be restricted to cases where a profound knowledge of German is needed for understanding a phrase or an idiom. @Takkat and @Carsten, marine or nautical terms can only be clarified by someone familiar with this. As this is a seemingly small percentage of the population, I suggest this is a valid question. – fbicknel Mar 26 '14 at 1:27
    @Takkat: Since it’s from a well-known movie, this can be actually interesting for future visitors and I would consider this to be of general interest. But maybe, we should discuss this on Meta. – Wrzlprmft Mar 26 '14 at 9:05
  • @Wrzlprmft: meta.german.stackexchange.com/questions/650/… – Takkat Mar 26 '14 at 9:22

If I remember correctly, it is LI (Leitender Ingenieur)

| improve this answer | |

Quote: Also, the Kaleun said at about 3:07:30

03:07:29,786 --> 03:07:33,582
Gut, Maat.

I used your give timestamps on three different subtitles files all in all, and the answer i found is Maat. Nothing to be found about Eli or LI so far.

Source: Boot, Das (1981) - Deutsche Untertitel

Maat, der; -[e]s, -e[n] [aus dem Niederdeutschen > mat(e) = Kamerad]:
Dienstgrad: Matrose. Schiffsunteroffizier in der [Bundes]Marine.

• (Seemannssprache, früher) Gehilfe des Steuermanns oder des Bootsmanns auf Segelschiffen.
  1. ein niedriger (Unteroffizier) Dienstgrad bei der Marine.
  2. jmd., der den Dienstgrad eines Maats1 trägt.

Sources: Britannica Encyclopaedia 2010 | PONS Großwörterbuch | Langenscheidt Großwörterbuch

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.