I came across the following sentence on Memrise:

Ich denke, es ist langweilig

and was confused because the verb ist does not go to end, like I thought it should.

Here is another example:

Ich glaube nicht, dass die Liga langweilig ist

Almost the same sentence, but now the verb is at the end. I trust that both sentences are correct. Is it because of dass? Or is it not so strict in modern German?

marked as duplicate by Emanuel, Ingmar, c.p., Hubert Schölnast, christian.s May 30 '14 at 17:23

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

If you omit the subclause conjunction, it is called an "uneingeleiteter Nebensatz", and the verb order is the same as in a main clause (verb second), even though it's a subclause.

There are similar rules for conditional and concessive subclauses without conjunction, see e.g. the explanation in canoo.net

The second sentence is a secondary sentence. It is a nearly complete sentence. Leaving the "dass" builds a short for of the sentence which has another sentence order.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.