How does the "es gibt" construct behave when it is in a subordinate clause?

For example, let's start with a simple:

Es gibt einen Hund.

Now let's move it into a subordinate. Some alternatives I could think of

Ich glaube, dass einen Hund gibt.
Ich glaube, dass es einen Hund gibt.

Is any of those correct?

• None is. "Es" is the subject, hence "Hund" can't be in the nominative case. – Fytch Aug 29 '14 at 13:29
  • First, @Peasant is right but I think that's not part of the question. So I changed "ein" to "einen". Second, I think in your first "Ich glaube, ..." sentence is missing the "es". I don't know where you did want to put it; however, the second sentence is already correct (provided having the correct declension). – Em1 Aug 29 '14 at 13:37
  • Actually, the answer to this question is pretty easy. You just move the verb to the end of the sentence, and you're done. There's nothing special just because using "es gibt". – Em1 Aug 29 '14 at 13:38
  • Oh, I thought something strange could happen, like in the "passive without subject", where es only appears if necessary to keep the verb in position 2: "Es wird getanzt" -> "Morgen wird getanzt". :-) – fdierre Aug 29 '14 at 14:06

Correct is:

Ich glaube , dass (subordinating conjunction) es (subject) einen Hund ("direct object") gibt (verb).

Pertaining to OP's comment on the question:

This "es" is not to be confused with the "es" we see in sentences like the following:

Es wird in Deutschland viel Bier getrunken.

Es muss mindestens einer von euch hier bleiben.

In these cases "es" is really only a filler and has no grammatical role whatsoever.... only a syntactical.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.