I was trying to translate the sentence I am looking at it again on Duolingo. I put Ich sehe daran wieder, but they wanted Ich sehe es mir wieder an. The reflexiveness is not throwing me off, but why can't I replace es + an with daran?

What made you believe you could? "daran" is an adverb. "es" is an object and "an" is part of the verb. There's no rule whatsoever saying that you can replace an object and a part of a verb with an adverb. – Em1 Aug 30 '14 at 5:59
  • @Em1 It's not that easy. – user6191 Aug 30 '14 at 6:04
  • @Grantwalzer... yes, it is. – Emanuel Aug 30 '14 at 20:10
    @Emanuel For non-native speakers this is far from obvious. Such comments discourage people to ask perfectly reasonable questions. – user6191 Aug 31 '14 at 0:18

Because your an is not the same an as in

Ich glaube nicht an dieses Zeug.

Here, an is a preposition. In your case, an is part of the verb ansehen. An is indeed separable, but you cannot use it (together with a preposition) to form a pronominal adverb.

Additional clues

daran glauben is a verb(al syntagma) whereas daransehen / daran sehen is not (at least not in the sense of looking at something).

To be replacible, it would have to be an + object (preposition), not object + an (some other construction).

Further use of "daran"

Even though es can be an object, phrases like

Er denkt nicht an es. (ouch)

are considered informal if not wrong. Here, an es has to be replaced with daran. On the other hand, if the object is not a thing, then daran cannot be used. So A saying

Ich glaube nicht an Gott.

cannot lead to B saying

A glaubt nicht daran.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. I didn't realize you couldn't use da-words with separable prefixes. – Millie Smith Aug 30 '14 at 6:13

Ich dachte daran. Dieses "daran" ist eigentlich "das+an", wobei sich dasan zu daran entwickelt hat. Und dasan ist eigentlich rückwärts zu lesen also als "an das". Man könnte auch sagen die Präposition wurde hintenangehängt, wie das in anderen Sprachen oft der Fall ist.

I'm looking at it again kann man nicht mit Ich sehe daran wieder übersetzen. Das würde heißen: Ich sehe an das wieder. Und das ist kein normales Deutsch. Ich sehe/ schaue mir das wieder/ nochmal an wäre eine brauchbare Übersetzung.

• Ich fürchte, mit dieser Erklärung kommt man nicht in allen korrekten Verwendungsfällen von daran aus. Daran sieht man... oder "Man erkennt daran,..." würden mit dieser einfachen Ersetzung auch falsch klingen. – Hulk Sep 5 '14 at 4:19
  • Die Verbkonstruktion ist: sich etwas anschauen, also ich schaue es mir an. Hier liegt kein Fall vor, wo man daran verwenden müßte. – rogermue Sep 5 '14 at 10:49
  • Ja, das ist mir klar. Ich habe deine Antwort (besonders den zweiten Teil) so verstanden, als könne man daran durch and das ersetzen und so herausfinden, ob die Verwendung von daran korrekt wäre. Das ist aber nicht der Fall, daher mein Einwand. – Hulk Sep 5 '14 at 11:45
  • Ich habe darüber nachgedacht. Es ist zu unterscheiden, ob das Verb ein Akk-Objekt hat oder ein Prep-Objekt:etwas ansehen hat ein AkkObjekt, also: ich sehe es an. An etwas denken hat ein PrepObjekt, also: ich denke daran (nicht: an es). – rogermue Sep 5 '14 at 11:48

Da-words can only be build with prepositions. "An" is not a preposition here but an adverb that has become part of the verb.

One clue as to the role of "an" is its being in final position. The more important one though is the fact that it does not connect anything to the rest of the sentence. Used as a preposition it would always look like this:

... an + [es/etwas/den Tisch/...]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.