As I figured, da has several meanings. How is it understood, when it comes together with a verb?

Consider the following statements

Und jeder Priester steht da und verrichtet täglich den Gottesdienst und bringt öfters dieselben Opfer dar, welche doch niemals Sünden wegnehmen können

Also fiel ich nieder vor dem HERRN die vierzig Tage und vierzig Nächte, die ich dalag; denn der HERR sprach, er wollte euch vertilgen.

Die Nachbarn und die ihn zuvor gesehen hatten, dass er ein Bettler war, sprachen: Ist dieser nicht, der dasaß und bettelte?

Gott sprach zu Mosche: Ich werde dasein, als der ich dasein werde. Und er sprach: So sollst du zu den Söhnen Jissraels sprechen: ICH BIN DA schickt mich zu euch.

Is it all about location somehow? For instance in the first sentence the context does not give any hint where he actually is standing. Is it simply implying, that he is there, as in being there, standing?

"Da (sein)" can mean "(being) here|there|(at some place)" to express the existance or presence of something or someone, as probably in all of your examples.

Habe keine Angst, die Polizei ist ja bald da.
('da' -> 'hier, bei uns')

"Da" can also be used to replace "dort", which refers to an explicit location. You can identify that meaning when information on that location is given in the sentence/context:

Ich besuchte John im Spital. Mark war auch da.
('da' -> 'im Spital')

• With "there", I meant any possible location, so I'm not making a difference between things that are close to me or not. "Da" is indeed directly translated with "there" as it's explained in the second part. I improved that now. – Sam Sep 15 '14 at 19:57
  • Also note Dasein=existence. – Carsten S Sep 15 '14 at 21:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.