The dictionary listing for versieben has:

versieben ver•sie•ben ( versiebt ptp) vt

inf (=vergessen) to forget

(=verlieren) to lose

(=verpfuschen) to make a mess of inf

There are two inf's in here. What do they mean? I've tried to find an answer in the dictionary website as well as using Google, but couldn't find one.

'inf' means: Infinitiv/ infinitive – user9523 Sep 18 '14 at 17:29
    Wenn "inf" wirklich "Infinitiv" bedeuten würde, würde es groß geschrieben. – Robert Sep 19 '14 at 15:49

I haven't found any explanation of abbreviations on that site, but having skimmed some entries I suppose that inf stands for informal.

I guess the first inf belongs to the German term versieben and the second one to the English to make a mess of.

Edit: How inf possibly was created
If you submit entries to that site, you can add some optional (tag-like) information. There are some pre-built tags that can be used but also a blank field for custom-made tags. inf seems to be a custom-made tag. So maybe the explanation of inf as informal is not globally true on that site.

I think that there is little organization which tags are used and how they are formatted because every user can enter new ones as they please.

• Wofür ist denn der Edit gut? – Em1 Sep 18 '14 at 19:35
  • @Em1: Um zu zeigen, dass die tatsächlich gemeinte Bedeutung von jedem Benutzer abhängt, der einen Wörterbucheintrag einsendet. Um zu zeigen, dass es auf der Seite keine globale Bedeutung von inf gibt. Einer könnte es als Kurzform für informal einstellen, der andere für irgendetwas anderes. Der eine User könnte etwas als slang oder vulgar kennzeichnen, der andere entscheidet sich für einen informal-Tag – Chris Sep 18 '14 at 19:59
  • Danke, jetzt hab ich es auch verstanden :) – Em1 Sep 18 '14 at 20:53
    Maybe you could add that the German word for informal would be "informell" and that usually "umgangssprachlich/ugs." would be used. – Roman Reiner Sep 19 '14 at 17:52

I suppose it means "informal" and is an indication of language level. On other entries you can find e.g. "sl" (slang) and "vulg" (vulgar).

Abbreviations used in dictionaries are listed in dictionaries in the introductory pages. The first thing to do when you use a dictionary is to see what is in the introductory pages and what is in the appendix. In an English dictionary inf can either mean informal or infinitive.

From what you have indicated in your question I can see that your dictionary says: versieben can mean in informal language to forget or to make a mess of something.

Inf means Infinitiv in German dictionaries, which means the same thing as the English word infinitive, which is the modus of the verb.

But why should it mark only the first of 3 meanings, and why is it behind "to make a mess of", but not "to forget" and "to lose"? – Matthias Sep 18 '14 at 17:07
    Infinitiv is not a mood. Moods are Indikativ and Konjunktiv (and some more). – Chris Sep 18 '14 at 17:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.