a. I have Windows installed

b. I have my hair cut

The only solution I found was the verb lassen. Still remains unclear how to use it, how to translate in an appropriate way.

And also very important: Are there any other solutions besides that with the word lassen?

It is also possible to use "Rezipientenpassiv" (bekommen + Partizip Perfekt):

Ich bekomme Windows installiert
Ich bekomme die Haare geschnitten

|improve this answer|||||
  • Would you really ever say it that way? – Howard Pautz Sep 23 '14 at 2:38
    Absolutely. Morgen bekomme ich die neuen Möbel geliefert is a perfect example. – Ingmar Sep 23 '14 at 5:04
  • Well, the first sentence does sound a bit odd, but it's not wrong per se. – user6191 Sep 23 '14 at 9:12
    We had it here a few days back in another example: german.stackexchange.com/questions/15754/… – Veredomon Sep 23 '14 at 11:45

"Ich lasse mir Windows installieren"

"Ich lasse mir die Haare schneiden"

This is what I would normally say.

Somewhat more formal, and probably rarely used in spoken German :

"Mir wird Windows installiert"

"Mir werden die Haare geschnitten ".

The latter option (i.e. the passive construction) has a slightly different connotation - while the first option implies that you actually wanted someone to cut your hair/ install Windows, the latter is neutral in this respect.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Thank you so much, @Gerhard! Perfect and comprehensive answer! Helped a lot! – Alex Herman Sep 22 '14 at 21:59
    @gerhard Shouldn't it be "ich habe ... installieren gelassen"/"ich habe ... schneiden gelassen"? – persson Sep 22 '14 at 22:32
  • @karoshi: the only thing I can say: sounds wrong to me - but I cannot give you a grammatical explanation, unfortunately. I probably wouldn't even notice if someone else said this, but I would never say so myself... – Gerhard Sep 22 '14 at 22:45
  • @karoshi: No, I'm afraid it's ich habe + inf. + lassen. – Ingmar Sep 23 '14 at 5:03
    @karoshi: Gerhard's solution is in the "perfect" form. A "present perfect" does not exist in the German language. – Marc Sep 23 '14 at 12:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.