Die genaue Höhe der Zahlen ist umstritten, doch gilt es als sicher, dass Entführungen zu einer nicht unwichtigen Einnahmequelle von Terroristen geworden ist.

Is it also possible to say

doch es gilt als sicher

or

es gilt doch als sicher

?

If so, is there any difference between the versions?

You need to use sind instead of ist because the subject (Entführungen) of your subordinate clause is plural. – Hulk Sep 27 '14 at 8:07
  • Here, a comma is correctly used before “doch” to separate two independent clauses. However, a semicolon is frequently used to connect such closely-related independent clauses. They could also have been separated by a full stop. – user9551 Sep 28 '14 at 15:22

There is a problem with "doch". doch (1) is a shortened form of jedoch and introduces a clause containing a contrary idea.

doch (2) is an adverb, a filling word, often called modality adverb as it marks a special attitude of the speaker towards what he says.

• Das weiß ich doch! marks some annoyance about being told things that are general knowledge for the speaker. This "doch" is placed after the verb.

• Ich bin doch nicht blöd! marks a statement as something self-evident.

• Das ist doch nicht zu glauben/unglaublich! marks a very strong emotion.

I haven't studied all the things "doch" can express but I am sure there are still some other "modalities".

There is even a "doch"(3). As an answer you can say: Ja/Nein/Doch - as Daniel has already pointed out in his post.

| improve this answer | |

Yes, the difference is that in the first example doch does not play a role, you can just leave it out. Instead in the 2nd example you gave you contradict the person you're talking to.

It makes a difference which word you emphasize. In the first: if you emphasize doch then it is like: yes, it is sure. if you don't emphasize any word explicitly then it is like without doch. In the second: if you emphasize gilt then it is just a statement. If you emphasize doch then it is the contradiction I mentioned above. Also that is used for changing a previous statement in which, in this case, you would have said it is not sure

• Please feel free to edit your post in case you want to give some more information. Comments are not meant for that, they may disappear over time. Thank you. – Takkat Sep 27 '14 at 7:03

The first alternative is o.k., but to you use the second within the whole sentence you need to replace "doch" with "jedoch". Unfortunately I can't explain why - it's just my sprachgefühl as a German native speaker.

Semantically I don't see any difference among the three versions. It's just a matter of rhythm and maybe style.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.