In the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, I see abbreviations like

Sarkozy gibt Kandidatur für UMP-Vorsitz bekannt

mic. PARIS, 19. September. Der frühere französische Präsident Nicolas Sarkozy ...

I assume that "mic." are the initials of the author of this article. Is that true? (I've never seen this in English-based newspapers before.)

If so, how can I find out the full name of the author? (The article is not continued on other pages.)

Another example:

Schotten stimmen gegen Unabhängigkeit

Cameron ruft zur Geschlossenheit auf und verspricht größere Autonomie / Erleichterung in Brüssel

job./theu./now. EDINBURGH/LONDON/BRÜSSEL, 19. September. In Schottland haben 55 Prozent der Stimmberechtigten gegen die Abspaltung ...

• Are we talking about in the print version of the paper, or online? I don't see the same abbreviations in online articles, but rather a full author's name. – Milchgesicht Oct 1 '14 at 19:42
  • @Milchgesicht I'm talking about the print version of the paper, and also not all articles. Some articles do have the full name of the author. – boaten Oct 1 '14 at 19:44

This is a Kürzel and represent the author or the source of the article.

This Kürzel may be the initials, but it may be another abbreviation. In the print version is sometimes a list nearby the 'Impressum'.

You can check some examples of Kürzel on the website of the FAZ, for Baden-Württemberg

There are special Kürzel:

You are right, it’s the author, Michaela Wiegel in this case. The abbrevation is displayed prominently on her author profile.

Here is a list of FAZ authors – or just google for "FAZ" + [shortname].

• There's even a search engine for the "Kürzel" (logogram). Here's a search for job. (the dot must be typed). – user6191 Oct 1 '14 at 20:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.