What is the most elegant way to translate constructions like the following to German?

She was born in Kansas with her parents being born in Washington.

Correct me if my perception of the English sentence is wrong, but I think that

She was born in Kansas with her parents being born in Washington.

does not carry any extra meaning over

She was born in Kansas, her parents were born in Washington.

and that the former is only chosen because it seems more fluid. If so then I would not choose any of the constructions proposed by Chris but simply choose

Sie ist in Kansas geboren, ihre Eltern in Washington.

because it sounds perfectly fine. (As for „ist geboren“ vs „wurde geboren“, this would probably be a separate question ;)

I can't think of an idiomatic translation that doesn't need an extra (subordinate) sentence. So I suppose you rephrase the parts in italics giving rise to a German translation using a (subordinate) sentence:

Sie ist/wurde in Kansas geboren, wobei ihre Eltern in Washington geboren wurden/sind.
Sie ist/wurde in Kansas geboren. Dabei wurden/sind ihre Eltern in Washington geboren.
Sie ist/wurde in Kansas geboren, während ihre Eltern in Washington geboren wurden/sind.
(Sie ist/wurde in Kansas geboren, obwohl ihre Eltern in Washington geboren wurden/sind.)*

* Formally, the "with"+gerund construction is not a concessive one. However with regards to content, a concessive translation seems to be possible.

"Wobei" is the best choice. "Obwohl" doesn't really match. – Em1 Oct 9 '14 at 22:04
    wobei ist wohl etwas neutraler als obwohl, aber der Unterschied zwischen obwohl und wobei kommt mir nicht allzu groß vor. – Chris Oct 9 '14 at 22:07
    Obwohl ist immer ein Gegensatz. Wobei kann auch eine Beiordnung ausdrücken, und ist dann eher wie dabei ... – Vogel612 Oct 9 '14 at 22:28
    Kann die englische Konstruktion (rein schriftlich) Gegensätzlichkeit ausdrücken? – user6191 Oct 10 '14 at 0:15
    Spricht irgend etwas gegen während? – Ingmar Oct 10 '14 at 6:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.