What would Germans call what the English call the Thirty Years War — both formally and informally?

1 Answer 1


This would translate almost literally in

Dreißigjähriger Krieg

that is used both colloquial, and in a formal setting. However some historians scientifically disagree with this term.

  • 5
    it's still the only word I know, both formally and informally. +1
    – Pekka
    Jun 30, 2011 at 23:17
  • 2
    Why do some historians disagree on the name?
    – Tim
    Jul 1, 2011 at 6:35
  • 3
    @Tim N: as far as I understood (I'm no historian) the notion that it was only one war is historically incorrect. There were several different wars as in this 30 years period of time.
    – Takkat
    Jul 1, 2011 at 6:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.