The context is:

Was mir am Besten an seinem Zimmer gefällt, ist der riesige Spiegel, der an der Wand hängt.
Ich denke, es lässt den Raum grösser und heller erscheinen.

I'm not sure if lässt and heller work in this context.

• As it stands, this question is going to be closed as it is asking for proofreading. To prevent this, please ask about a specific problem you are having with this sentence. – Wrzlprmft Oct 23 '14 at 15:42
  • Compare german.stackexchange.com/questions/857/…. Also, what does “es” refer to? Voting to close now. – Carsten S Oct 23 '14 at 16:00
  • We are getting closer. There are still two separate questions here. Also please tell us what your problems with a word or construction are, so we can address these problems. We like questions about a single issue here that may be helpful to other people. – Wrzlprmft Oct 23 '14 at 16:05
  • I assume the question is about the collocation "lässt heller erscheinen", thus I moved it into the title. If I'm mistaken feel free to rollback my change (you shouldn't, however, rollback my typo and punctuation fixes ;) ) – Em1 Oct 23 '14 at 16:12
  • @Em1: Ah, I haven’t even considered that those could belong to one aspect (which shows once more, why you should explain what your issues are). – Wrzlprmft Oct 23 '14 at 16:15

Yes, it is completely correct. But, since it is "der Spiegel" you should write:
Ich denke, er läßt ...

• Do you have to switch er and läßt around? – Holly Oct 23 '14 at 19:39
  • No, you would only do that if it would be a question. – Martin Peters Oct 24 '14 at 4:57

Assuming this is the original question, yes, "heller erscheinen lassen" is totally correct.

As for the rest of the sentences, definitely replace "es" with "er" - lots of objects are considered masculine or feminine in Germany and are therefore referred to as such.

Personally, I would also leave out the "der an der Wand hängt.". Where else would a mirror be?

• Some people have a mirror on the ceiling or as the door of their wardrobe, so there are options. But yes: it is slightly redundant. – Matthias Oct 23 '14 at 17:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.