Does erscheint go to the end of the clause, or does it switch places with es to be the second idea?

You forgot the comma, otherwise it's fine. Here are all alternatives: "Ich weiß, es erscheint seltsam." – "Ich weiß, seltsam erscheint es." – "Ich weiß, dass es seltsam erscheint." – "Seltsam erscheint es, ich weiß." – "Es erscheint seltsam, ich weiß." – "Dass es seltsam erscheint, weiß ich." ... I'm sure someone else will give explanations ;) – Em1 Oct 23 '14 at 19:57
  • What "second idea" are you talking about? – Harald Nov 21 '14 at 12:55

Put the comma in and you're perfectly fine.

Ich weiß, es erscheint seltsam.

It's two sentences: 'ich weiß' and 'es erscheint seltsam'. Two main clauses linked by a comma, the verb goes in second place both times.

The word order is correct (note the missing comma as mentioned in the other answers.) This is an unintroduced subordinate clause. In its introduced form (e.g. introduced by the subordinating conjunction dass), the word order would switch to the following:

Ich weiß, dass es seltsam erscheint.

In this case the two forms can be used interchangeably. The only slight shift to the meaning that I would see is that the introduced form emphasizes the fact that you know that its strange.

You can perfectly translate word for word:

I know, it appears odd.
Ich weiß, es erscheint seltsam.

• I = Ich
  • know = weiß
  • it = es
  • appears = erscheint
  • odd = seltsam

Hopefully it is what you where looking for. Otherwise, the answers ot the others look pretty well too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.