From Süddeutsche Zeitung:

Der derzeit tobende "Gamergate" dagegen, Spieler-Gate, sieht so aus: Gewisse Gamer (siehe oben, Männer ff.) reagieren auf die von der US-Medienkritikerin Anita Sarkeesian gestellte Frage, ob das Frauenbild in Online-Ballerspielen nicht das von ziemlich bedauernswerten Tröpfen sei, mit Morddrohungen.

I've looked up the use of ff., and I'm still confused what "Männer folgende" would mean. Also, why is ff. used after the noun it refers to, as in "Siehe Seite 303 ff."?

It means "and the following [pages, items...]". So "see page 303 and the pages following 303". – Cerberus Oct 29 '14 at 19:49
  • Have you seen f. as well? And their foreign language counterparts in the side bar to the left? The English pages, for instance, have very informative Usage notes. – Gerold Broser Oct 30 '14 at 17:43

"ff" means "[und] folgende", usually in references to pages, when you want to say "don't just look at that page but also a few pages after that": "Seite 300ff" can be pages 300 to 305.

Without knowing the whole article, I would assume "Männer" refers to another section in that article (titled "Männer"), and "Männer ff" refers to that section and the next few sections.

To me, "ff" or just "f" (one following page) vs "pages 1, 2, and 4" is a bit old style, when people would manually maintain their references and did not want to update all references after inserting text.

| improve this answer | |
  • I agree that it’s old style. Nowadays, nobody would reduplicate an abbreviation to indicate plural. It’s also lazy, because software can automatically handle complex references. Finally, f. and ff. are commonly only used with numeric references, primarily page numbers, sometimes chapters or section. – Crissov Oct 30 '14 at 8:49
  • Isn't 1 ff. different to "pages 1, 2, and 4" since p. 3 is missing in the latter? – Gerold Broser Oct 30 '14 at 17:51
  • @GeriBroser could be --- I don't use that style. This was just an example to illustrate different styles, not claiming that they mean the same. – Robert Oct 30 '14 at 21:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.