I was following a chat the other day and encountered the phrase "hab was für dich".

Hab seems to be an in the imperative form, but I would like to learn the meaning of it.

Can you please give us a little bit more context? Also, you might want to take a look at How do I ask good, on-topic questions for translations or about differences?. – Wrzlprmft Oct 30 '14 at 12:25
  • @Wrzlprmft I thought first it is Imperative form "habe etwas für dich". Thought it could be "Help yourself". – Alex Herman Oct 30 '14 at 12:35
  • @Wrzlprmft I live in Russia. My both English and German are not so good to ideally explain situation. Sorry. – Alex Herman Oct 30 '14 at 12:46
    It was most likely just sloppy written for "Ich habe etwas für Dich", like "Lemme" instead of "Let me" or "c'mon" instead of "come on". – Veredomon Oct 30 '14 at 14:01

It literally means:

I have something for you

I doubt that there is a special meaning.

• Ah! Absolutely right! "Ich hab...", "Ich habe...". Thanks! – Alex Herman Oct 30 '14 at 12:33
    And it can be used with physical: "Hab’ was [ein Geschenk / a gift, eine Überraschung / a surprise] für dich!" or meta-physical items: "Hab’ was [Neuigkeiten / news, Informationen / information] für dich!". – Gerold Broser Oct 30 '14 at 17:01
  • @a-herrmann: See Apostroph#Auslassungszeichen for proper orthography. – Gerold Broser Oct 30 '14 at 17:06
  • What are you implying? According to duden.de/sprachwissen/rechtschreibregeln/apostroph Regel 13 Punkt 2 it's perfectly fine to leave out the apostrophe, but you are allowed to put one. – Raketenolli Jul 15 '16 at 9:04

The "was" is colloquial (umgangssprachlich) for "etwas".

So the sentence is, in full, "Ich habe etwas für dich.", which means "I have something for you", as @5pike stated in their reply.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.