I was wondering if this is how you say 'for' + subject + 'to' in German, because of the different constructions in English and German:

Ich werde sie auf dem Boden lassen, für den Raumpfleger, aufzuheben.

I will leave them on the floor for the cleaner to pick up.

Wenn ich das mache, wird es härter sein, für ihn, mir zu helfen.

If I do it, it will be harder for him to help me.

The exact same structure exists in German: für ... zu/zum ....

I will leave them on the floor for the cleaner to pick up.

Ich lasse sie auf dem Boden liegen, für die Putzfrau zum Aufsammeln.

This is grammatically correct, but a German would probably rephrase it with damit (so that) instead.

Ich lasse sie auf dem Boden liegen, damit die Putzfrau sie aufsammeln kann.

If I do it, it will be harder for him to help me.

Wenn ich das mache, wird es für ihn schwerer sein(,) mir zu helfen.

| improve this answer | |
  • I edited in some commas, but I really didn't know what to do with the first German translation (in terms of orthography), so maybe someone else can help with that. Also I don't think it's the "exact same" structure - at least it's not as idiomatic. Try translating "for the car to start faster", for instance. – user6191 Nov 2 '14 at 21:27
  • @Takkat Still doesn't look right/grammatically correct. At least it's very colloquial. Technically, it should be something like "Ich lasse sie für die Putzfrau am Boden liegen, zum Aufsammeln." Also possible (but not in the sense of the question): Ich lasse sie auf dem Boden liegen, für die Putzfrau, zum Aufsammeln. – user6191 Nov 2 '14 at 21:53
  • @Grantwalzer: I totally agree that the first example is not good style but as I understand it it's meant as an examplatory possibility using a similar construct in German. Using damit is certaily the better way ("damit das Auto schneller startet"). – Takkat Nov 3 '14 at 7:14
  • Ich würde zwei Sätze machen: Ich laß das liegen. Die Putzfrau bringt das schon in Ordnung. – rogermue Nov 3 '14 at 10:02
  • The second example ("it will be harder for him to help me") doesn't seem to hit the point, really, as it is a different construction both in English and German. – Thorsten Dittmar Nov 6 '14 at 10:51

The English construction with for + accusative + to-infinitive can't be translated with the same construction in German.

This text is too difficult for me to translate. - Die Übersetzung dieses Textes ist zu schwer/ schwierig für mich.

He waited for them to sit down. - Er wartete bis sich alle gesetzt hatten.

He arranged for a taxi to get her to the station. Er bestellte ihr ein Taxi zum Bahnhof.

As you see there is no 1 to 1 correspondence between the English and the German translation.

| improve this answer | |
  • Der Text ist zu schwer für mich zu verstehen. ... The construction does exist. It's just less common and sounds a bit colloquial in many cases. – Emanuel Nov 4 '14 at 10:28
  • Sorry, ich würde das nie sagen. Klingt nach Wort für Wort Übersetzung aus dem Englischen. Ich würde sagen: Der Text ist mir zu schwer. Ich versteh das nicht. – rogermue Nov 4 '14 at 10:46
  • "google.de/…*%22" nicht jeder Treffer ist auch ein Beispiel, aber es ist ziemlich offensichtlich, dass die Wendung verwendet wird. – Emanuel Nov 4 '14 at 10:59
  • OK, also irgendwie funktioniert der LInk nicht. Gib einfach bei Google ein: "zu schwer für mich zu *", inklusive der Anführungsstriche – Emanuel Nov 4 '14 at 11:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.