On linguee.de I've found a very good translation for attach:

..., die Sie an E-Mail-Nachrichten anhängen möchten.

So, anhängen is the translation for attach.

In real life we usually type to someone:

Attaching a document to the (this) email.

This question is more on formality.

Would it be okay if I type for example:

Mein Lebenslauf hänge ich an diesem E-Mail an.

Is there a more formal way to say the same?

"Im Anhang finden sie..." – Em1 Nov 4 '14 at 16:16
  • I use the feniminine artice for E-Mail, thus, I would say: "Mein Lebenslauf hänge ich an diese E-Mail an". Is it also correct to say diesem? – Iris Jan 24 '17 at 13:38

Your solution looks ok except that you have to write Meinen. A little bit more elaborate and perhaps smoother you could write:

Meinen Lebenslauf füge ich der E-mail als Anlage hinzu.

• Nice suggestion. Sounds very good as well. – Alex Herman Nov 4 '14 at 15:50
  • @a-herrmann see my comment on the accepted answer for a longer explanation of this. – Felix Dombek Nov 4 '14 at 17:21
    @a-herrmann It is spelled "E-Mail" (big M). And actually I wouldn't recommend to say "hinzufügen" instead of "anhängen". Anhängen is exactly the right term for this and is definitely preferred. 5pike's answer has another idiomatic (and completely correct) solution. – Felix Dombek Nov 4 '14 at 17:29
    Oder "beifügen". – Carsten S Nov 4 '14 at 19:40

Instead of

Mein Lebenslauf hänge ich an diesem E-Mail an.

I'd write

Mein Lebenslauf befindet sich im Anhang.

While not really that formal, it's commonly used and perfectly fine, even for applications.

Your suggestion seems to be perfect! – Alex Herman Nov 4 '14 at 15:46
  • @FelixDombek: I think, in your last example, "Meinen Lebenslauf hänge ich dieser E-Mail an.", E-Mail is actually dative. Replace it by a masculine word: "Diese Seite hänge ich dem Leitfaden an." It's dem Leitfaden (dative), not des Leitfadens (genitive). – Oguk Nov 19 '14 at 6:42
  • Note that "Mein Lebenslauf" is nominative; in the first example, the Lebenslauf is the object (which is BEING attached) and you need the accusative "Meinen Lebenslauf...". Also, you got the gender and grammatical case of E-Mail wrong. "Anhängen an" needs dative and E-Mail is feminine, that means "diese E-Mail". (Thanks Oguk) – Felix Dombek Nov 19 '14 at 14:17
  • I hope I do not confuse you totally if I offer another grammatical construction that is very similar to the first: "Meinen Lebenslauf hänge ich dieser E-Mail an." This has E-Mail in the genitive case and skips the preposition "an" (because "anhängen" can be used both ways.) – Felix Dombek Nov 19 '14 at 14:17
  • E-Mail ist feminin, regional auch neutrum (Duden1); @FelixDombek anhängen an wird in dieser Bedeutung mit dem Akkusativ gebildet (Duden2, Bedeutung 3). Es müsste also vollständig heißen: "Meinen Lebenslauf hänge ich an diese E-Mail an." Klingt in meinen Ohren aber komisch, also lieber "Meinen Lebenslauf habe ich angehängt." oder "[...] beigefügt." oder "[...] finden Sie im Anhang." – Raketenolli Jan 24 '17 at 17:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.