If someone is participating, e.g., in a passive-aggressive, disproportionate, stuck-up, or micro-management behaviour because he didn’t get to copulate for some time, a typical expression to make that person even more irate is to say:

Someone has to get laid.

I am however having difficulties translating this expression, which provides an explanation for the inappropriate behaviour and at the same time mocks that individual. I can’t think of either a female, male, or unisex expression.

Similar to your English version:

Da muss (wohl) jemand flachgelegt werden.

Variations:

Jemand muss mal wieder flachgelegt werden.
Jemand muss wohl wieder flachgelegt werden.
Da muss jemand mal wieder flachgelegt werden.
Da muss wohl jemand mal wieder flachgelegt werden.

"Someone didn't [have sex] in a long time":

Da hat wohl jemand schon lang nicht mehr.

Although it's not necessarily an insult. Also as a question:

Ist schon lang her (seitdem du das letzte Mal ran durftest), was? (rather towards males)
Sag, wann hast denn du das letzte Mal?

Don't know if these are too general:

Da muss/sollte jemand mal wieder.
Jemand muss/sollte mal wieder.

• Thank, these expressions are however quite bloated (word count and letters), and not as neat as the English one. I've only heard the second one with "gevögelt" behind it. – Franz Kafka Nov 6 '14 at 16:06
    @FranzKafka That's the problem with English-to-German translations most of the time. :( – user6191 Nov 6 '14 at 16:08
  • "Gevögelt" is quite rude and also very explicit. Since the context should be clear, you do not need to add it here. – PMF Nov 8 '14 at 9:17

Since you also (in a comment) asked for short versions, the shortest I've actually heard is the expression:

Er/Sie ist wohl untervögelt.

or obvious albeit slightly longer variations:

Da ist wohl jemand untervögelt.

• This is not so "discrete" as the others. Some things should not be named direcly... – PMF Nov 8 '14 at 9:23

In Swiss German (call it a dialect, we call it the proper German) we tend to say:

Öpper hets mal wider nötig

which freely translated to standard German would be written:

Jemand hat es mal wieder (dringend) nötig
OR
Jemand hat es (dringend) nötig

Variations would also be:

Hier hat's jemand (dringend) nötig

Der/Die braucht's mal wieder (dringend)

I'd tend to use "Da" instead of "Hier": "Da hat's aber jemand dringend nötig". Wouldn't you use "Da" in Swiss German at all (in this context) or is it just a preference using "Hier"? – Em1 Nov 6 '14 at 18:49
  • Actually I tried to apply school learned German for the answers. Just added Swiss German at the beginning for an origin of my answer :) - That said, in Swiss German it depends heavily on the region. While where I come from you'd say Da häts glaubs epper (gröbers) nötig, in Bern/Biel someone'd rather say Hie hets öpper mau ume nötig – dot_Sp0T Nov 6 '14 at 18:55
  • The phrase "es nötig haben" is common not only in Switzerland. It nags me that I didn't think of it. – user6191 Nov 6 '14 at 23:09
  • @Grantwalzer well, it's no competition ;) – dot_Sp0T Nov 7 '14 at 6:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.