I am learning German and we got our first modal verb today, können. We have to put the sentence in order. The sentence pieces are: Die Schüler/gut/Deutsch/können/? Is the sentence suppose to be 1.Können die Schüler gut Deutsch? or 2.Können die Schüler Deutsch gut?

If you're supposed to making sentences, why make questions? – thekeyofgb Nov 12 '14 at 0:03
    Funny that in this sentence "können" is not used as as a modal verb. – Carsten S Nov 12 '14 at 0:05

Both are okay and they mean the same. There's a difference in tone. Or better, there's a difference in contextual appropriateness. That sounds very complicated but what I mean is simply that I think the second version is more likely in context where it has already been established verbally that the students speak German. I think in beginners class they'd expect you to use version 1 but if they claim that it's the only correct way, tell them to read up again because it just ain't true.

EDIT:

Just to make sure... both are questions, not statements.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ok thank you. That makes a lot more sense! – Hannah Nov 12 '14 at 0:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.