What would be a good way to say "I'm sorry I am only beginning to learn German".

I usually say:

Entschuldigung, mein Deutsch ist schlecht.

But that is not a very positive way to start a conversation.

Is this grammatically correct:

Es tur mir leid, ich fange an Deutsch zu lernen.

You could translate "I've just recently started learning German" (almost) literally. There a couple of possibilities to translate just recently. A few examples:

Ich habe kürzlichst erst angefangen Deutsch zu lernen.
Ich habe erst kürzlich angefangen Deutsch zu lernen.
Ich habe vor Kurzem erst angefangen Deutsch zu lernen.

The first version is restricted to some regions of Germany though.

Your sentence is not really wrong, though. "Ich fange an", however, is either present or future.

Ich fange gerade an. (I'm starting right now.)
Ich fange morgen an. (I'm starting tomorrow.)

But you probably want to say that you've already started, so you should go with Present Perfect.

It's important to mention that the tenses are very different in German, although these simple examples suggest they're equal.

Sound's funny, better: Ich habe erst kürzlich angefangen Deutsch zu lernen. – Kitana Nov 20 '14 at 21:37
  • @Kitana Danke. Hab's mit aufgenommen. – Em1 Nov 20 '14 at 21:48
    Im mündlichen Sprachgebrauch würde ich eher "Ich habe erst vor kurzem angefangen Deutsch zu lernen" empfehlen. – M.Herzkamp Nov 21 '14 at 14:26

I would translate it to:

Entschuldigen Sie bitte. Ich fange gerade erst an, Deutsch zu lernen.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.