What is the correct expression, maybe some sort of a cliché, to warn consumers about possible allergens, something like:

Don’t use this product if you have an allergy to one of its ingredients.

I tried to find such labels on the Internet but to no avail.

The main reason you won’t find this on the Internet is probably that, at least in my experience, such notices aren’t used in Germany (and probably no other German-speaking country), as you can still legally expect a minimum of common sense from your customers. What is rather done is that common allergenes are bold-faced in the lists of ingredients, so people with allergies can check quickly. – Wrzlprmft Nov 22 '14 at 21:45
    @Wrzlprmft: they must be used by law on all pharmaceutical products (search for: Gebrauchsinformation, Beipackzettel). – Takkat Nov 23 '14 at 6:52
  • @Takkat: I just read some random of these instructions from the Internet, and none even contained a word starting with allerg, let alone a comparable sentence. Even the sentences given in the answer or your comment to it are more specific. – Wrzlprmft Nov 23 '14 at 9:52
  • Either way, as everybody has different assumptions about this: What kind of product are we talking about? Medication, food, cosmetics? – Wrzlprmft Nov 23 '14 at 9:54

A typical instruction leaflet reads as follows:

(…)

2. Was müssen Sie vor der Einnahme von X-Tabletten beachten?

X-Tabletten dürfen nicht eingenommen werden

(…)

– wenn Sie allergisch (überempfindlich) gegen X sind.

– wenn Sie allergisch gegen einen der sonstigen Bestandteile von X-Tabletten sind (siehe Abschnitt …).

(…)

| improve this answer | |
  • The standardized text for a patient's imformation is: "wenn Sie überempfindlich (allergisch) gegenüber NAME oder einem der sonstigen Bestandteile von NAME sind;". Source: BfArM – Takkat Nov 23 '14 at 6:50
  • The text or translation is about a herbal bath. I think I will use your above sentence "wenn Sie allergisch gegenüber...". Thanks a lot for the help. – Martina Pospíšilová Nov 23 '14 at 17:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.