Why, for example, is Kunst pronounced [ˈkʊnst] and not [ˈkʊnʃt], yet the st in Einstein is pronounced [ˈaɪnˌʃtaɪn]?

Is there a rule governing when it is [ʃ] vs. [s]?

The stress signs are put before the syllable that is stressed and not before the stressed vowel. I have changed that. – Chris Nov 27 '14 at 21:01

Somewhere in the transition from Middle High German to New High German, the clusters [sk], [st] and [sp] became [ʃ], [ʃt] and [ʃp], respectively, when they were in the onset of a syllable.

So, in German words "st" and "sp" are pronounced [ʃt] and [ʃp] only when they occur at the beginning of a syllable. In "Einstein", this is the case; in "Kunst" it is not.

Some remarks:

• Foreign words may have the pronunciation [st] or [sp] at the beginning of a syllable; e.g. "ein Star" [st] = a celebrity; but "ein Star" [ʃt] = a starling.
  • In the northern parts of the German speaking area, some speakers only use [st] and [sp]; in some southern parts some speakers use [ʃt] and [ʃp] even when it is in the coda of the syllable.
    This can be used in mocking of dialects. For example a typical Hamburger will say "ich bin über einen [sp]itzen [st]ein ge[st]olpert. And a cliché Swabian will ask "woischd?" for "weißt du?"
  • "Erkenntnisproblem" is pronounced with a [sp] and not with [ʃp] because the compound can be splitted as "Erkenntnis-Problem" but not as "Erkenntni-Sproblem".
  • I hate to correct your Swabian because it is a bit tangential, but I think it would be "woischd". At least that is how Pferdle says it. – Tim Seguine Nov 28 '14 at 8:29
    Kennsch scho mei schea Schweschda Grischdiene? – Nikolaj-K Nov 28 '14 at 9:30
  • @NikolajK Noi. A schees Xsicht däd i et schnell vergessa. – Tim Seguine Dec 16 '14 at 10:34

As a general rule, "st" is usually pronounced [ʃt] at the beginning of a syllable and [st] in the middle or the end. This is analogously true for "sp"

The "sp" in "Erkenntnisproblem" is not a real "sp", as this is a compound noun ("Erkenntnis-Problem").

Remark: this is not true in the southwest of Germany, where real "st"/"sp" are always pronounced [ʃt]/[ʃp], no matter where they occur in a word. In the north, the opposite is often true (i.e. "[st]/[sp] in all cases).

• Actually, it's about the beginning of a syllable and not a word. E.g. "verstehen" is not really a compound since "ver-" is not a word but solely a prefix. But essentially you are right, of course. – Chris Nov 27 '14 at 19:51
  • @Chris: You are right, of course. And a tiny bit faster than me :) I edited my answer. – Gerhard Nov 27 '14 at 19:54
  • Even in the Southwest of Germany, the "sp" in "Erkenntnisproblem" remains [sp]. – O. R. Mapper Jul 14 '15 at 5:29
  • Edited - although i thought this was clear from my original answer already. – Gerhard Jul 14 '15 at 8:07

"Erkenntnisproblem" is constructed of two words, "Erkenntnis" and "Problem". The two words keep their pronunciation when combined.

The word "Kunst" has the "st" at the end, there it stays "s-t". However in several dialects, including Swiss German, it will be spoken as "sch-t".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.