What is the correct translation of the "Go" button in German?

On Stackoverflow there's a picture of that button.

My question is general. In English it is possible to write go in different circumstances like when I perform an action or when I am at the end of a wizard. Does such a word exist in German?

Is that a generic button or is it app-specific? If generic, it would be "enter" or (rarely) "los" – Emanuel Dec 2 '14 at 15:51
    There is also the "Microsoft terminology database" which includes translations of "Go" like "OK", "Los" or "Start". – Uwe Keim Dec 2 '14 at 20:27
    @UweKeim Great Link. You should make that an answer :) On the German soft keyboard in front of me its either Weiter (next) or Los (go) depending on the context. – Harald Dec 3 '14 at 15:05

A simple translation for “go!” (that is independent of the individual action) is „los!“ as in

auf die Plätze, fertig, los!
(on your marks, get set, go!)

"Los!" is also rather short, so it might just fit into a "Go!" button without the need to resize it. – Uwe Keim Dec 2 '14 at 20:26
    "Start" habe ich häufiger gesehen, aber "Los" trifft es auch sehr gut. – user unknown May 11 '15 at 12:05

There is no universal translation of go.

Los is quite informal, so I’d be hesitant to use it in most contexts. Might be okay when entering a url.

If possible, use a description of the action that will be triggered. For example Suchen, Verarbeitung starten or Registrierung abschließen.

For the last step of a wizard, Microsoft uses Fertigstellen, for intermediate steps they use Weiter/Zurück.

For the on-screen keyboard from your example, you could use OK or an arrow pointing to the right.

I'd translate

Go

to

Öffnen

or

Suchen

in German (I don't really understand the function of this specific Go Button).

• I clarified the question – David Michael Gang Dec 2 '14 at 18:12
    Well there isn't a general word in German (at least not to my knowledge). You can see that yourself by installing apps which use some sort of "Go"-Button and then just switch the language of your keyboard to German and see what happens. – vkvau Dec 2 '14 at 18:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.