I can take a photo for you.

Eine vom Wörterbuch vorgeschlagene Übersetzung:

Ich kann ein Foto für dich machen.

Wäre die direkte Übersetzung

Ich kann ein Foto für dich nehmen.

völlig falsch? Wie würde man das verstehen?

The correct translation is "für jemanden ein Foto machen".

The second suggestion may well be understood by native German speakers as it is a relatively common mistake, but at first glance it seems to suggest:

"I can grab a picture for you (i.e. from a stack of photographs)."

Sample sentences of Foto + nehmen in context

| improve this answer | |
    It might be understood by Germans with some knowledge of english. – Stephie Dec 19 '14 at 13:32
  • @Stephie or Germans with some knowledge of other languages which use the verb "to take" in the context of photographing (i.e. Spanish, Japanese, etc.) – Milchgesicht Dec 19 '14 at 17:22
    The translation examples that are given in the Linguee link are funny to read, since most of them are clearly wrong. So just don't say "ein Foto nehmen" in German, since it is wrong. – Roland Illig Dec 22 '14 at 22:50
  • @Rolland Illig I was attempting to give an example of the way the verb nehmen is actuallly used with the noun Foto in German, although you are right to point out that some of the listed excerpts are incorrect (i.e., the Brazilian tourist website). Still, a majority of the excerpts demonstrate the point of my answer: you only use "nehmen" with the noun Foto in German when you are physically (or with software) grabbing and/or utilizing a photograph, not "snapping" one. – Milchgesicht Dec 22 '14 at 22:56

Ich kann ein Foto für dich nehmen.

Bedeutet physisch ein Foto zu greifen und an den Angesprochenen zu geben.

Fotos in Deinem Kontext werden im Deutschen "gemacht". (oder, im Slang, "geknipst" bzw. "geschossen")

| improve this answer | |
    Wait. Why is it a false friend? It's not a friend to begin with. It sounds like the sentence with "nehmen" is common, which it is not. I find it extremely weird and wouldn't know where to use it. If we call this one a false friend, any literal translation that doesn't work is a false friend. – Emanuel Dec 19 '14 at 10:09
  • Wie wär's mit aufnehmen, Aufnahme machen, ? – Takkat Dec 19 '14 at 10:51
  • @Takkat: aufnehmen ist was anderes als nehmen, genau wie beispielsweise unternehmen. – äüö Dec 19 '14 at 13:19
    @falkb: eben. Aufnahme syn. Fotografie, aufnehmen syn. fotografieren - auch wir nehmen das nehmen, wenn auch mit auf. – Takkat Dec 19 '14 at 14:17
    Wobei ich "aufnehmen" eher mit Videos assoziieren würde, weniger mit Fotos – Gerhard Dec 19 '14 at 19:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.