You want to say to your friend on her birthday

May all your dreams and wishes come true.

A direct translation would be

(a) Mögen all deine Träume und Wünsche wahr werden.

But as it was pointed out in this question, saying möge is too formal. A suggestion with Ich wünsche was made, which in this case would be

(b) Ich wünsche dir, dass all deine Träume und Wünsche wahr werden.

However, the repeated use of wünsche makes the sentence seem awkward.

What would be a good way to translate this?

• To me, both are fine (except: mögen (plural). The "mögen" is okay since it is a festive context. I'm voting close as I think it's opinion based – Emanuel Dec 19 '14 at 17:13
  • @Emanuel Don't you feel that the second sentence is awkward for the reason I mentioned? (By the way, I don't feel that this question is more opinion-based than several other translation-type questions.) – boaten Dec 19 '14 at 17:18
    No, I can perfectly imagine myself saying this in a festive tone t my best friend and then burping without being ironic. As for opinion based or not... well, I'll just give an answer then. – Emanuel Dec 19 '14 at 17:20
  • @Emanuel Also, your suggestion that "mögen" is okay since it is a festive context contradicts both answers in the linked question, which is also in a festive context. An explanation on that would be nice. :) – boaten Dec 19 '14 at 17:34
    wünsche-Wünsche: one of the rare occasions where it wouldn't bother me at all. – Stephie Dec 19 '14 at 18:24

As a native speaker I would say that (a) doesn't sound too formal at all.

IMO, both are fine in that context.
Caveat: I would not use the "mögen"-version if me and the person are using formal-you. Then it would sound too emphatic and could be perceived as irony.

They are both fine but it's more common to say

Mögen all deine Träume und Wünsche in Erfüllung gehen!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.