In my family, we never pronounced Brötchen with a long ö, but rather a sound reminiscent of a diphthong oi or öi. In any case, Brötchen with a long ö sounds totally alien and unfamiliar to me.

But what is the standard German pronunciation? Is there any dialectal area (Rhineland?) where such a pronunciation is common?

3 Answers 3

Wiktionary normally includes non-standard but common pronunciations, but in this case they only listed one possible pronunciation. It's also the only one I've heard. The standard way being [ˈbʀøːtçən].

I tried checking forvo for a recording from a person from Rhineland without success, but it's worth noting people from different regions all pronounced it pretty much the same way.

According to Duden Volume 6 – Aussprachewörterbuch, the standard pronunciation of Brötchen is [ˈbrøːtçən].

A sound sample can be found here.

I have never heard /'bröitchen/. The normal vowel is a long or half-long ö. Maybe there is a pronunciation with öi, perhaps in Siebenbürgen or Jiddisch or perhaps with the Amish in USA.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.