How would one go about translating the sentence: "What type of animal are you interested in?" I read that "to be interested in" is "sich interessieren für".

Would it be: "Was für ein Tier interessieren Sie sich für?"

Or does the für from "Was für" make it so one doesn't need the second für?

That would make it: "Was für ein Tier interessieren Sie sich?"

A direct translation could be:

"Was für eine Tierart interessiert sie?"

I'm native German, but my grammar knowledge is bad, hence I'm bad in arguing why I did choose this solution. You don't need the second für. But you have to amend interessieren to interessiert. See the -> Duden website entry for all the cases. In this sentence you talk directly to another person, he's alone, so Singular/Indikativ -> Sie interessiert.

Ad-hoc I would translate it to:

"Für welche Tierart interessieren Sie sich?"

Sounds nicer.

| improve this answer | |
    "Tierart" is ''species''. ''type of animal'' is a looser, unscientific term; it should become ''Welche Art Tier...'' (Sorry, chronic pedant here.) – Kilian Foth Jan 3 '15 at 18:22
  • Good argument :) But the sentence does not sound as good as before. "Welche Art Tier interessiert sie?" Maybe it would make more sense when using Tier generally. "Welche Tiere interessieren dich?" – Michael K. Jan 3 '15 at 18:42
  • An exact answer would be indeed Für was für Tiere interessieren Sie sich? It's completely correct, compare: Über was für Dinge ärgerst du dich am meisten? – Bartłomiej Zalewski Jan 7 '15 at 14:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.