Is there a general word to describe a sentence part, such as a relative clause, but also an infinitive clause?

Gibt es ein allgemeines Wort, um Satzteile – zum Beispiel einen Relativsatz, aber auch einen erweiterten Infinitiv – zu beschreiben?

  • Do you mean one word to describe them both, or one word that describes the group of sentences they belong to? – F.P May 25 '11 at 9:02
  • Should the word also describe "um Satzteil" in your translation? – Tim May 25 '11 at 9:03
  • 1
    @ApoY2: Is there a difference? – Eldros May 25 '11 at 9:03
  • 1
    @Eldros: It would be useful if you added some examples of what you want the word to describe, as there are other word combinations than relative and infinitive clauses thar are delimited by commas. – Tim May 25 '11 at 9:08
  • 1
    @Tom: well I could narrow the definition so: a sentence part, delimited by commas, centered around a verb and making sense. I would have added that they should have a subject, but infinitive clause doesn't have any, although I think it is implied. – Eldros May 25 '11 at 9:24

The only word that comes to my mind is Teilsatz.

Wikipedia (de):

Unter Teilsatz versteht man jede Wortfolge innerhalb eines Satzes, in dem neben einem Hauptsatz entweder mindestens ein weiterer Hauptsatz oder ein Nebensatz enthalten ist. Jeder dieser Teile, „Hauptsatz“ und „Hauptsatz“ oder „Hauptsatz“ und „Nebensatz“, ist für den gesamten Satz ein Teilsatz. Selbstverständlich können in einem Satz auch mehr Haupt- oder Nebensätze enthalten sein.


Not quite. You can use "Nebensatz", but that wouldn't be correct for infinitive clauses. It might still be understood, though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.