How would you translate the term tar baby?

I know the translated title of a book by Toni Morrison is Teerbaby but that doesn't really mean anything for someone who didn't read the book. In English however, this is a word that's actually in the dictionary.

Is there something like that? I couldn't find anything so far.

If nothing exists, how would you express it?

There's the term "Zwickmühle", which roughly matches your dictionary description:

https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Zwickm%C3%BChle

• I am not sure that's exactly the same. You can walk away from a tarbaby, which is not true if you are stuck between a rock and a hard place or got into a catch-22 situation ... – Ingmar Jan 21 '15 at 21:06
  • @Ingmar The linked dictionary entry of tarbaby is in line with this. "[...]almost impossible [...] to break away from." – Harald Jan 22 '15 at 10:16
  • Well, it doesn't match my (native) understanding of the term. YMMV. – Ingmar Jan 22 '15 at 10:39

Ich fürchte dass es überhaupt keine gute und griffige Übersetzung gibt. Joel Chandler Harris ist in Europa dafür einfach nicht bekannt genug. Es bleibt also nur eine Umschreibung.

• Yes, I thought so. How would you express it? – koljanep Jan 21 '15 at 21:04
  • Depends on context. Do you have an original sentence? Maybe something like "eine Situation, aus der man ohne Flecken auf der weißen Weste nicht mehr herauskommt". – Ingmar Jan 21 '15 at 21:09
  • I heard this verbally. The conversation was about a third person and the sentence was something like "he is a tar baby, I would not rely on his help." – koljanep Jan 21 '15 at 21:17

What lupor said is pretty close. A "Zwickmühle" describes a situation that is almost hopeless. Like choosing between a rock and a hard place (German: Lebra und Cholera; two diseases).

I think there is no other way but describing it metaphorically. One way of explaining it may be a spider web. Once you got in it is hard to get out.

If it is the title of an English novel a German publisher would probably choose a totally different title as tar baby doesn't tell Germans anything. In the novel the term tar baby may be used and translated as "Teerbaby" but the translation would probably insert a sentence or two to explain the expression.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.