For my German translation needs, I use Beolingus. I searched the translation for the word Bedrohung, which would mean menace or threat, but I see that Androhung and Drohung mean the same thing.

Is there a difference I am missing?

An "Androhung" or "Drohung" requires that you can assume an intentional stance towards the threatening agent - a mobster threatening to smash up your store, or a government issuing an ultimatum. These things are are always delivered explicitly, usually via words (although a raised fist may suffice). A typical "Androhung":

Morgen wirst du verprügelt!

A "Bedrohung" can (but doesn't have to) be entirely circumstantial: a settlement may be threatened by plundering bandits whether they announce themselves or not, and it can even be threatened by extreme cold. A typical "Bedrohung" is that of atomic energy, which people fear both because an accident might pollute an entire province, and because nuclear war might destroy entire continents.

Androhen benötigt ein Akkusativobjekt, daher sollte auch Androhung nicht alleine stehen. Eine Androhung von Prügel ist eine Drohung. – Carsten S Jan 25 '15 at 13:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.